10 Hour Days

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by zeboman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    There has been some talk at work about going to four ten hour days and I`m all for it. I was wondering how many of you work four tens with three days off a week ?? That would be nice. The only problem with it would be OT, we can only work sixteen hours max.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Four 10's isn't bad at all. i use to work two 12's and a 10 and got paid for 40. work 3 off 4 was a sweet deal but it fizzled out. Good luck

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Over the years I have worked about every shift there is. 4-10's are great, but there is a draw back the 10 hour days, cuts into your time at home with the family, seems like you get home, eat, and do what ever you need to do at home, then it is time for bed. The 3 days off in a row are nice, and it will cut down on your gas back and forth to work.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I must admit, that I have always liked the idea, have never had that kind of job before

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My wife has worked 12 hr days for years. They are scheuduled 4 days on and 4 days off. 4 crews keep the shop going 24/7.

The bad thing is she goes from 48 hr checks to 36 hr ones as it rolls around.

I have worked 12 shifts before, no 10 hr shifts. The steel mill it was 8 hr or 16 hr if you worked a double.

With the price of fuel, 4 tens makes sence. I'm glad I'm not driving 50 miles a day like I used to.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have worked 5/10 days for 13yrs now, only during harvest and planting seasons we work 7/12 to 16 hr days, LOL!!! So enjoy what you have!!!

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i work 10-12 hrs a day 5 days a week ,with the occasional 1/2 day saturday. there is too much work to only have 4 day work weeks

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We just went to 4 10 hour days. I can also change my hours and my day off if needed. The last three weeks started out working 5:00 a.m. til 3:00 p.m. Last week I switched to 5:30 a.m. til 3:30 p.m. I've been taking Mondays off so tomorrow is a fish day. So far I really like it.

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I work 4 tens, sun to Mon 10am-9pm LOVE them. THat extra day off is great, however there are some drawbacks...

Like someone said earlier you get off do what you need to do and go to bed, sometimes that extra couple hours drags on, and sometimes you just hate your job and it doesn't matter what hours you work!!!!:eek:oooh:

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I worked rotating 8 hour shifts for 16 years. Morning tower was my favorite.

Shortly before I retired one plant wanted to try going to 12 hour shifts. All the operators and supervisors voted for it except a couple older guys. Management saw a problem getting extra people to cover sick leave or plant emergencies.... especially with the crew that was on "long change". To eliminate the problem, a few on the crew on long change had to agree to stay in town and carry pagers. (this was before cell phones)

The crews must have loved the extra long, long changes and 12 hour shifts for it continued for several years in three petrochemical plants. But in the last year I understand they have switched back to 8 hour shifts. I don't know the reason unless the people have got older or a change in management.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I've worked 4-10's before and they are nice, but I prefer the 3-12's I work now. 4 days off every week is really nice.

12. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I work 12 hr. shifts rotating from days to nights. My shift will run like Tuesday and Wednesday off, Thursday and Friday on days from 4 am to 4 pm. Saturday, Sunday and Monday off, come back Tuesday and Wednesday on nights from 4 pm to 4 am, then Thursday and Friday off. Then I work a long weekend, Saturday, Sunday and Monday on days from 4 am to 4 pm. I have always liked working this shift as it gives me a lot of time off during the week when everybody else is at work. I can go to the lake or the river without being bothered with all the weekend warriors. I very seldom fish during the weekend. Of course on the other hand when you get in the shape that I have been all summer long, having one guy out on long term disability and finally going out on disability and having to cover for him and try to train new people too, doesn't leave much time off. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, so it soon will be back to normal in time for some good fall catfishing and good deer and squirrel hunting.

don3778

13. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    In summer I work 4 6 hour days, and during school I work 5 2 hour days. So 4 10 hour days would be kind hard for me:smile2:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    4 tens would beat my 5 twelves except for the pay part :cool2:

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree 4 10's would be nice, alot of the businesses around here went to that for gas purposes, nut not ours!! I work from 7 to 6 mon - fri and occasional sat from 7 to 5 :sad2: so I would be all over it except we're on commision and if you aint selling you aint making money....