10 hour days

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well work has been good 50+ hours every week every thing from pushing a shovel to pumping water from one hole to another seems iv done bout every different job they can come up with gathered trash , grouted pipe , dug ditches , put in silt fences , spread concrete , finished concrete , chipped concrete , built forms , covered concrete with plastic and blankets , filled ditches back up , pointed my finger , leaned on a shovel , crawled around under rebar picking up scrap wire , stacked lumber , piled rock , swept dirt from the ground , cleaned the tool shed , opperated a ditch witch

and now im going to have more time to do it in , april 16th we go to 10 hour days monday thru thursday and 8 to more on fridays depending on wether or not were pouring concrete that day , i have seen 17 and a half hours in one day , plus we will still be working saturdays aswell

gotta love my job :lol:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No time left for getting into trouble.:angry: That's good though...with the cash flow and all. $$$ is goood! Hard work 'n' clean livin'. Hope you have a little R&R time.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What did I tell ya?
    I'm getting too old for those hours.:big_smile: but the pay is nice.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep you said it , im old too i think 38 maybe not as old as you :lol: but i still feel old sometimes especially after ctfishing the night before and fighting a big fish in heavy current :lol:

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont drink or do drugs any more :lol: so i guess this job has kept me out of trouble :lol: and the cash flow is catching me up on my bills in 10 days im picking up a new coil pack for my boat and iv already got plans to put the 16' river jon in the shop for an over haul on the hull , new rivits and metal boxes added aswell as alluminum sub floor and deck , il post plans in a new thread to get thoughts from every one on it

6. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I just work 40 but 3 are 11-9 M-W Friday 8:30-5:00 and Sat 9-2 morning. 3 tens is a row is difficult, no matter what job you have and I used to do what you do, construction, on a similar schedule. I feel for you, but still find time to go out and fish....somehow. Instead of sleeping in, I have been out at dusk before work hunting morels, no luck in Western Ohio yet, and fishing as well as really hitting the hills and fishing on days off. No cats...yet, but I have really found some good bait in places I used to just fish when I was a kid lately. I am going to start night fishing for cats soon when the weather changes after work, so you lose a little sleep. it can be worth it.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep thats my plan fish at night but its got to warm back up cant afford to be sick

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Charles I'm disabled and haven't worked in 6 years but when I was working I would have loved to have 10 hour work days.I left for work at 5:30 am and didn't get home till after 8 pm 6 days a week April through Dec. and got paid for 75 hours most weeks and worked 40 hours a week in the shop in Jan,Feb and March.No time for anything but work,now you know how I got disabled.:beat_plaster:

9. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Worked 4 10s for 5 years and loved it(easy job) two of us in the radio shop one week worked M,T,W,T the next, T,W,T,F so had two 4 day weekends each month, never had to use vacation. Really got spoiled.--shu

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charles thanks for the update. Sounds like things are looking up. Glad to hear that. I really respect a man that is not afraid of work.Make it while you can. Sorry to say but Money is what makes the world go around. Good Luck.:big_smile:

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Charles be thankful your still able to work like that. I wish I could but for some reason, maybe the nerve damage due to a broke neck, I have days I hurt so bad I don't want to even walk. But I have a family so I keep on trucking as best I can. God bless you brother.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well guys this week iv worked mon 9 tues 16 wed 9 thurs 9 and tomarrow atleast 12 maybe more we are pouring a 1000 yards did 1500 tuesday and monday starts the 10 hour days :lol: be more like 11 or 12 im sure plus next week we've got a 2500 yard pour to do at one time non stop that should make for a long day ya think :lol: man im glad im young , not :lol:

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck brother, hope ya get your sleep.

I used to work M-T 7am-7pm. That was a nice shift with optional overtime whenever I wanted to work the other 3 days.

I wish I could get back to working that much.

14. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i'm workin 6 10's and a 8 on sunday, my next day off is june the 2. last year i did 91 12 hour days in a row on one job. but when i'm done i take 2/3 months off to play.:big_smile:

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Man thats ALOT of hours! I would hate to see what uncle sam takes out of your check!
    I hope you get a couple days off soon.
    Bill

16. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Well, well, well you sound like about 60% of the workforce. I had one day off in March, with alot of them being 10 hours +. We are like fish, you know the saying 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. Well 60% of the workforce does 90% of the work, LOL!