10 ft. Jon boat - The Dangerous Child!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DANZIG, Jun 13, 2007.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, broke down and bought a dig. camera.

Here are a few Pics of the "Dangerous Child" (10 ft Jon) 3hp Johnson.
    Added grab bars from semi truck, rod holders, depth sounder, nav lights, motor.
    The lights and Depth sounder have yet to be wired but I got the battery I was looking for and that should be done this weekend.
    Speaking of the Battery,(pic included) Any good ideas as to where(and how) I should put it?

Encouragement for you poor boys out there:
    I still have less than $250 in her. $25 for the hull (holes included!) $60 in the oars and locks(not pictured) $50 for the non-running 7.5 hp motor that was traded for the running 3hp, $22 for the battery, $12 a piece for the rod holders, and a bit for rivets, JB weld, screws, and the like. The rest was bummed, salvage, and sweat.

Attached Files:

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmm... let's see if we can make those pics larger...

Attached Files:

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Guess not. What's the trick to a larger pic???

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    One more time......

Attached Files:

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a sweet boat thanks for the pics

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    But have you had it on the water with all your gear and people in it?

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    very good looking boat.

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    nice set up, glad to see youare now ready to post some pics

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    With the exception of the nav lights, battery, and depth sounder, Yes!

Believe it or not, she does float. Makes ya wish for a bit more freeboard though, not a rough water boat but I have had her out on the Ohio R. though she mostly sees Beechfork Lake, the Mud and Guyandotte rivers. (small water)

If I can figure out exactly how, I am considering adding 4 "pool noodles" to the (outside top) of the hull for a bit of xtra float. Two-up, this is not a boat for the faint of heart. Hence, "Dangerous Child".:big_smile:

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    BTW A disclaimer:
    Foolish as I may be, I have over 40 years experience on rivers and lakes and have developed a pretty good "weather eye" and boat handling skills. Loading up a 10 footer the way I do (gear and a mate) IS pushing the line and not for rookies.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Looks good,nothing like trading/scaveging a work of art.Make sure you grease the bearings on those cinder blocks!!:big_smile:

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Lawrence,
    Been there done that! You are smarter than we were though, we just made sure we had an extra bucket to bail with!:eek:oooh: Picture three people, 2 ice chests, tackle boxes, (2 bail buckets), two rods a piece, trolling motor and battery out of the van we drove in. Sitting over a 60 ft hole in the ouachita river when the Game warden pulls up at 0130 in the morning. My brother in law sets the hook on a good eater while telling the GW that he forgot the papers for the boat along with his fishing lic at the house. Amazing we did not kicked off the river. Oh did I mention that we were passing the bucket back and forth the whole time we were talking to the GW?

We called it the Bathtub. It had more water in than out!

You are on the right track, looks great!

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    LOL! Good to know I am not the only nut!:lol:

14. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I love the bathtub story. That is my brother and I to a "T". How great it is.

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    All you need now is a good thick coat of cat-slime on that boat!

Congrats!!!

:0a23:

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    O she has been slimed on many an occasion, and overdue for her tenth paint job. She has been my sweety for years now. I 'spect even if I won the lottery she would still be my favorite.
    For a years, I just used her for summer (low water) float trips down the Gyandotte R.
    Without all the festoonery, she only draws a couple inches of water, Would float in a mud puddle.

I should have included a pic of the face of the front deck. I have a metal yard stick bolted to the face for quick measurements. If I can remember, I'll snap one of it and post this weekend. Other than the oars, that was my first Mod. many a moon ago.

17. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I have done some stuff to my ten foot Jon-Boat, but your boat is better looking and more of a usefull looking effort than mine.

Ten foot takes a bit of getting used to, not a lot of room for my son and I, also not for going where there is rough water.
    Still I love my little boat also, dont plane on selling her, but I do plan of getting a bigger boat and keeping the ten foot for solo trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That front seat and deck is going and I will do some other things also.

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I like your anchor idea!

19. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you, it does in fact work very well, and so inexspensive to do.

20. theflyfisher

theflyfisher New Member

State:
    CT
    great job on the rig!