10 footer vs 7 footer

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i currently have 4 tiger rods and four 6500s i use live bait with a 2 ounce sinker and i can cast them pretty far my question is are 10 footers a lot better for the further casts because ive seen some people with huge rods that could cast 2 times as far as me im a ugly stick man swear by them i thought about getting a bigwater but i dont think they would work that well cause there rated like 12 ounces i just dont think you could get the fling with that the next rod i held but didnt cast is the 10 foot catmaxx which seems really nice maybe someone can help me out here and if i should get a couple catmaxx or know of another big rod i could really send sailing i have the money to buy quality

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    generally getting a 10ft rod would increase your casting range. there are a few tips to get more distance, but first are you using spinning or casting? are you using a shockleader? how long of a drop(distance from the sinker to the rod tip) are you using? lets start there first.

3. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
    ill be using a 2 ounce no roll sinker with a live bluegill with a 16 inch leader carolina rig

4. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
  5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I am a big fan of 10-12 ft rods.In order to cast with improved distance + larger baits is to use the baits momentum like a pendulum.

Let it swing just a tad as you go to cast and you will soon learn it by feel.

When it swings out you will catch a tad more momentum wich will utilize the longer rod more effectively.

Another thing I like is with the bigger tackle you can a little smaller with your line weight.I regularly land 30+ lb fish with 14 lb Trilene.As in regular I have caught 6 over 30 this summer and just as many 20 lbish fish.Along with numerous Channel cats in the 5-10 lb range.

I have yet to respool this year.

6. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
    in other words u kinda get the bait bouncing and fling the bait correct?

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well theres a little more to than that. for using live bluegills try this rig www.acfishing.com/sub/articles/walter/breechrig.html
    if you're using a heavy pound test braid tie on a good sized swivel to act like a stopper then attach a short piece of 20 pound test mono that way you have heavy enough mono to cast a 2-4oz sinker and break it off if you have to and still have most of your rig. give it a try.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For casting a light weight like that, I'd say to look at the action of spinning surf rods in the 12'-15' range, then find a similar blank with casting eyes. The reason I suggest looking at the spinning rods first is that their action is usually more limber than casting rods of the same length. I've got a couple of 14' custom river rods made from Fenwick blanks, and I'm hesitant to try to really throw anything much less than 4 ounces with them. But I had some 15' rods I bought at Wal Mart that would have handled a 2 ounce sinker just fine. Unfortunately, they wouldn't hold the catfish; I broke 3 of them in one day. Finally gave up, got my money back, and bought a real river rod even though it cost twice as much.