10'' craftsman bandsaw?

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by CJ21, Feb 3, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
  2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can forget resawing with it.
    I have a 14" Delta that wont resaw much.
    It takes alot of motor to resaw and alot of blade.

Go to Grizzly.com and order a free catalogue. That'll leave you drooling atleast until next Christmas.
    Their tools are made in China and Japan but if you stay with their higher end line built in the ISO factories you'll be getting some decent stuff.
    I know a fella that made a living for a long time building custom Queen Anne furniture along with his cabinet shop using Grizzly shop tools. He's never had a minutes trouble.
    You can get alot of bandsaw for 7-900 bucks from Grizzly.
    My 14" Delta sells for around 750 now. It was 425 when I got it.

I prefer a Delta tool over any other I've ever used. If I dont go Delta it will be high end Grizzly.
    Craftsman used to have some good shop tools but you'll find most now are underpowered especially in the table saw line.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok, I think it will do a better job at cutting curves.

4. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    I agree with Mark, you need a big motor and a saw that will carry a wide blade for resawing. I'm not familiar with the Craftsman bandsaw but I have a Craftsman table saw that has served me well for about 30 years. The bandsaw looks like a decent saw for the present bid and would probably do a decent job when cutting curves in 1" and 2" material.

5. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    not bad 4 the price...uderpowerd or not
    good luck:roll_eyes:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the help, I think I am going to just upgrade my cheap B&D Jigsaw to maybe a Bosch or something like that.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    first thing that caught my eye was1/3 hp ?on that big of a bandsaw ,id want at least a 1 or larger . I bought a craftsman 1/2 hp drill press and burned the motor up the first time I used it ,glad it only cost me 50.00 i can afford a new motor

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have a Craftsmen radial arm saw. The only thing that it is good for is rough cuts. It WILL NOT stay in square!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    One of the reasons, I was looking at that bandsaw is that I have a small 10x12 shop and dont have much room for the big tools.

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not a very good woodsman... whats resawing mean? Thanks.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Doyle
    Basically it is making a wide board thinner with out a lot of waste. If you have a high dollar piece of wood you can cut thin slices off of it to make verniers and etc.

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the information, I can see where that would be hard to do.

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bill, what do you mean not staying square? I have had a RAS for a long time and there are a lot of steps you have to do to square them up but I have not had any problems staying square. Is it square when you crosscut a 2x4 but out of square when you crosscut a 2x12? If your set up is done right it could be bad guides. I also have an older model craftsman 10"RAS m/n 113.23111 that works good if some one is close enough to me that can pick it up. I would let it go for $100.

14. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Mine will stay sq. for about 3-4 cuts. I will slowly creep out. I talked with a Sears tool repairman at the local repair shop. He said that I could send it in and they would probably be able to repair it, but it would not be cheap! The saw is not worth it to me.