10/3/2007

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Cornmeal and Catfish, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Looks like I'm finally going to one of my favorite spots tomorrow.
    I'm a little worried though. The water may be too salty and the crappie may be gone. The wind has been from the north for the last three days, which usually pushes the salt water out, but it's been a while. I hope it's not a blank trip.

2. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Sounds like fun even if you come up empty handed. Do the reds and specs come into your spot. I love fishing for those, too. Hope you get your fresh water trip.

3. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    The crappie were long gone. The water temps were too high for this shallow spot (8'). There were garfish all over so I knew that we should get going.
    We headed out into the main river and stopped in a few known crappie spots. Not one bite! The guy who I went with had a trotline in the water. We picked it up and there was a blue crab hanging on to it. This was 6 or 7 miles up river!
    We end up fishing for perch instead the bite was tough even for them! We caught 40 or so, but most were small.
    I drove the boat for a while and came across a school of baitfish. Don't know what they were but it was the largest school I've seen on a finder. The school was from 6'-22' and around 40 yards long. There were fish under the school...didn't bring my cast net.
    My buddy forgot the shrimp at his house so we couldn't try for reds or specks, but they are often caught right along with catfish.