10/16/08-Hartwell Lake - Big Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JimmyJonny, Oct 17, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hartwell wont be useable to much longer...........

Its a shame how low it is out there. The number of ramps is dwindling every week. Even Portman's has officially shut down .

CJim and I got on the water late. Since it was his b-day we weren't in any hurry. We sat around the boat house just talking and laughing it up .

We loaded up on Herring , picked our spot and rammed the shore to fish . The bit was slow but we didn't mind really. It wasn't a all out fishing night really, just a b-day get away ; )

Lets just say CJim had a long day and before long he was snoring away , LOL . I stayed up to enjoy the bright moon and beautiful weather . Finally at 5am my 7000 went screaming and the rod went down. I yelled for Jim but no response. I ended up landing him myself then Jim woke up to help me take pics.

I caught smaller ones also but all the fish were smacked and released ; )~

#16 blue
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/100_2929.jpg

35' long
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/100_2940.jpg

While I'm at it can anyone tell me about a ramp that has the word " Green" in it. We hear its still useable and I want to check it out. I myself know nothing about it...it might be near the 24 bridge ?, that's all I know...thanks.

Be safe out there if ya go......its really dangerous. Day by day more timber is sticking out of the water.

-Jim-

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Greenpond

That's the only one I know of. It's off greenpond road ,and that's off old portman road.I haven't been out there, but I thought it was dry too.

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I checked the ramp Page Jim and Greenpond is open:wink:

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Jim, thanks for the story and the pictures. Glad you got a nice fish! Water level sounds horrible!

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad ya'll had a great time and thanks for the report.:wink: Smack and Release is a good thing:big_smile:.

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    VERY NICE!!:wink: I love screamin rods early in the morning, fishing all night and hangin out with my best buds. Looks like you had a great trip.

We have plenty of water down this way and all the ramps are open:wink:

7. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Jim if you leave Lake Hartwell F&M on 24 headed into town, cross the bridges and take 1st right, go to stop sighn take a left and then right back right. Follow it to the end. It won't be much longer and it will not be any good. Good luck.

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I also just talked to Bambu and he had to put in at Martin Creek ( spelling ? ) I wouldn't mess with it either, its possible to make it in atm but if ya walk in the water it drops right off into the mud........

Just wanted to pass the info on. Nothing worse than going to a ramp and not being able to use it....then riding around looking for somewhere. Been there done that, LOL.

-Jim-

9. StankBaitHooker

StankBaitHooker New Member

State:
    Clemson SC
    i hate you jim! Hah you stay catchin nice cats and im catchin CRAP! Prob cause i dont fish much anymore...im jelouse really. nice catch and yes water levels are truly scary. Yes, i have been putting in at martin every time i go bass fishing, have not been in a week so im not sure but it was fine when i went.

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Just holler when your ready Rich.... If ya bass fish call me, I know where they are hitting pretty good atm . Just give me the small ones for bait ; )~

-Jim-

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I launched at Martins Creek Saturday. I figure that it was the last time . I didn't have any trouble getting in and out, but like Jim said the ramp is short. At the rate of water drop, it will be unsafe by this weekend. That was the last ramp in the water above Coneross Creek. Here's a list of the closings, might as well get the bank stuff out. http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/hartwell/hartrampstat.htm

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    from what i hear green pond, big oaks, and springfield ramps are good, pretty sure martins creek is closed last friday i was just able to get a 16ft tri-hull out so i wouldnt try again until the waters back up (if it ever gets there). has anyone used the ramps i listed in the past few days?