10/0 kahle live bait hooking question

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by katzilla, Jun 9, 2008.

1. katzilla

katzilla New Member

State:
    TX
    I just ordered me some 10/0 Kahle hooks and it surprised me how big these suckers are. I usually use 4/0 Kahle hooks with an ok success rate.

My question is...the barb and diameter on these hooks are humongous...where do you hook live shad, perch, and carp to where they don't get hook trauma and die?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    the 10/0 kayles are the same in a 10 inch bait as a 4/0 is to a 3 or 4 inch bait.i always use the hook to fit the bait.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I like to hook shad and skipjacks of larger size in the tip of the nose and gills through the eyes or middle of the back under the dorsal fin. Vern

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jonathan - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: The 10/0 King Kahle hooks are for big bait! I always go by the rule of thumb- 5" bait equals 5/0 hook- 10" bait = 10/0 hook, etc...

5. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been using 9/0 exclusively this year on all size bluegill and I have yet to miss a fish. The water is still cool, so the bait will live all night practically. I did order some 7/0 and 8/0 for later this summer. Once the water turns over, it's just hard to keep bait alive more than a couple of hours regardless of hook size. That's when I start using Goldfish, because they can tolerate the heat. The Green sunfish are much more hardy than the gills in the late summer as well.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the b.o.c.!

hook them in the forehead in current, above anal fin in slack water areas. make sure you have line and rod to set those babies. if you dont have big enough equipment you cant set the hook properly!

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I believe those 10/0 are goig to be way too big for anything but a really large bait - like a foot long shad or a 1 pound carp. If the baits are big enough, then the hook size won't be a big deal for them.

I fish with sunfish and white perch for baits, and have never felt the need to go above a 5/0 kahle, even with a real nice big bluegill.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Around here we have caught 3 lb. channels with 10/0 Kahles no bs. I usually only use 10/0 Kahles in the river, but Shelbygt1979 uses them in the lakes. You can use the 10's with a 5 or 6 inch perch,bluegill,shad,bullhead, or goldfish with no problem. Its just overkill to me, but itll work. In the lakes and small rivers use 5/0 Owner Kahle hooks, and 10/0 King Kahles in the rivers. :big_smile:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use Eagle Claw 9/0 King Kahles....I fish exclusively for large Flatheads and Blues....with large bluegills. No problems Here. I hook them in the tail just behind the dorsal fin....I also fish in a lake with little or no current. If you fish in waters with good current you might try hooking them a little more forward.:big_smile: