1 River in SC?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by jconna, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    If I was to focus on one river in SC, what would be you're suggestion? Probably asking too much, but a genaral section of the river would be a huge help also. :0a16: I'm only looking at taking a 4 day weekend and that's probably not enough time to get a handle on a lake. I'm comfortable with river though, and it's my preference if possible.

I'm still completely torn on where to go, but am reading excellent things about the James River in Va also. For some reason though...I just want to get back and spend a few days in SC. I was stationed at Shaw AFB for a few years an eternity ago and enjoyed the state. Appreciate it!

Jeff

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome, Jeff. Since you've been in the area around Shaw, I would suggest either the Wateree, or even better the upper Santee from it's beginning below US601, downstream to where it enters the lake below Low Falls landing. Over the next couple of months there should be plenty of catfish in that area, and the stripers will be moving upstream as well. Access is pretty easy from US 601 bridge, as well as Low Falls Landing, especially if the lake continues to rise some.

3. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks blackwaterkatz! From reading these posts for a little while, I've been getting the idea that the Santee was a pretty good bet. Wasn't entirely sure though if it was only because of locals posting, or it it would truly be one of my better bets in the state. I appreciate you're reply! Very helpful.

Is this area fishable by Jon boat? I've also been trying to decide whether to bring my boat (just a 14' Jon with a 9.9), or if I should just look at renting one once there.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gotta say that Tommy's idea may be the winner. From there you can easily run up to the bottom of either the Wateree or Congaree River (the join not far above Lake Marion to form the Santee River). Pretty good striper fishing in the area, too, from what I hear. Plus, there are several camps not far away where you can get a night's sleep (or maybe a day's sleep).

I don't fish that area, though. I really like the tidewater sections of the rivers - where there is actually a tide coming form the ocean, but you are far enough up river that it is still full fresh water. That is a really neat area of the rivers, but if you are unfamiliar then it might be a bit wierd - the current slows, stops and reverses direction a couple of times a day and the water goes up and down in the process. You can run aground on sand bars that were 3 feet under water 2 hours ago.

The lower Waccamaw River fascinates me. What do you think of someone spending a few days there, Tommy? Like maybe up around Brookgreen?

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, the lower Waccamaw fascinates me, too. I know there are big fish in there, but I almost never fish it, except near the US17 bridge. Upriver in some of the creeks (Schooner, Thoroughfare, Jericho, Big Bull) are some real deep holes that look inviting, and as you pass through them into the Great Pee Dee it gets even more intriguing. I want to spend some time fishing there, but just haven't been able to so far, so I hesitate to recommend it. I do know a couple of fellas up around Murrell's Inlet that catch some big one in there, though. Biggest headache is the boat/yacht traffic, which is why the large creeks appeal to me, I guess. :big_smile:

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    My vote would be for the Wateree and Congaree all the way down to there confluence to form the Santee River and below,some very nice cats hanging up in there and it want be long before the Stripers start there run upriver

7. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mainly cause thats where I fish. I fished the congaree for stripers but never for catfish. And we do fish the santee river alot around jamestown. Your not far from the beach and can do other things too. But if I had 4 days I would be FISHING!

later..
    Ron

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always wondered about that.:big_smile: