1 piece or 2 piece rods???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishparadise, Feb 9, 2008.

1. catfishparadise

catfishparadise New Member

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    What is better to use? Does anyone of them break easier than the other???

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They will each break with abuse. Accidentally strike the rod against a sharp edge, as in a table or door frame, and you have identified the location in which the pole will break. Treat them right, they will last. But even a solid steel pole would fail at some point.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the south bend rods i use are 2 piece and i have never broken one.. i have had them bent under the boat snagged up and not broke so use what you can afford and upgrade when you can ..

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Either is good. I would think that one piece rods are naturally stronger because they are one piece rather than two separately attached pieces. If you're the kind of guy that hosses a fish in rather than utilizing your drag you might be more safe in going with one piece.

5. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    I've had better luck and prefer 1-pc 7 -7 1/2' rods. Issues I have with 2pc-rods are : 1) Rod sections will turn affecting casting and retreiving where the eyes do not line up. 2)Rod sections "separating" when a you hang a large fish or experience runs. Invariably unless you are using powerpro, will break the line and loose the fish. 3) the joint gets hairline cracks after use and will split.
    I'll qualify my responses by saying-fishing in coastal salt marshes may be tougher on equipment than other places. Aggressive large reds , drum or small shark can strike hard enough to pull reels out of rod seats -break rods at the handle or at rod joints. It can be total out right WAR for awhile.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have both but use 1pc more often. Unless there is a flaw in the rod, they should bever break while fishing properly.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    IM A VERY FIRM BELIVER IN 1 PEICE RODS FOR CATCHING HAWGS :big_smile:

8. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I myself prefer one piece rods. I also like uglysticks. They are good quality rods. Just my opinion!!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to only use one piece rods for catfishing..But Now I use longer rods mostly 12 fters, so I have to use 2 piece...Both are good.

10. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    1 piece for me. I dont buy em over 7 ft so thats not really a problem. Even with other 2 piecers for pike that I use if i cast to far then my rod piece flies off into the water. Thats not fun at all.:big_smile:

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have both but I prefer a one piece in 7 or 7.5 ft but I mainly fish from a boat.

12. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    if you keep the to pieces tight then you dont have any thing to worry about and youre supposed to line the guide up when you put the rod together.:smile2:

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the two piece myself its easier to haul around then a long one piece rod.And ive never ever had a problem with a one piece breaking or coming apart.Ive got a one piece catmax rod and i like the rod but i wish now id gotten a 2 piece,its a pain to haul around.

14. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have to say all my rods are one piece. Seem to do a better job reeling in those 60 lb fish...

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    For most of us, two-piece rods are a necessary evil, but much of the bad rap is carryover from 40 years ago.

Today's two-piece rods are much improved from what I grew up with...I haven't broken a quality two-piece in years. I have, however, seen a few of those $20 specials swarm on people.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Daves statement, Todays quality materials have made all rods much better. I have two piece rods from 6.5' -12' and the only one piece rods I own are my two bass rods 6' high modulus graphite,Which seem to be collecting more dust

17. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Ok, well what I'm gathering from all the replies is that it doesn't really matter, it is just an opinion on what that person prefers. Thanks a lot guys the help is nice and if you have anything else you would like to add in please do. :big_smile:

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the one piece catmaxx rods from bps nice rods for the $$$ I have 6 of them for 5 years no problems yet. You also can't beat a good uglystick.

19. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use all 1 piece rods for catfishing.

20. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    yeah i have looked at those catmaxx before but didnt know how good they were but i do have an uglystick and i love it:big_smile: