1 over 34 inch rule in GA?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bumper, May 8, 2008.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I was just wondering how many of us GA catfishermen would support a rule that says you can only keep 1 catfish over 34 inches a day, like they have in TN. I think it would be great for big cats in GA, especially in places like the Coosa River where lots of big fish are kept. What do you guys think?

2. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I wouldn't have a vote since I live in Fla but most all my fishing is on the Altamaha River. I would support some sort of regulations to protect bigger fish.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Bumper, you know that I would support that regulation without a doubt. It is better to impose these regulations "early" than to wait until there's an obvious problem. For example, SC's new regulations (Blues only) that were imposed to address concerns that there were not enough large Blues being caught. That one will take some time. Why not extend the regulations in SC to Flatheads too? I think TN is an excellent model for how successful these regulations can be.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i would back it up for sure. I don't think it will happen too soon since the GA DNR is still trying to eradicate flatheads out of some rivers in south georgia. I think they've mostly given up on shocking the altamaha watershed though. I know almost all of the big fish around here find there way to a cooler, and when i tell em i let mine go they think im nuts. And of course every big fish i hear about around these parts are either jugged or limb lined. Hopefully big catfish for sport will catch on more around georgia and the DNR will see the benefit of these big fish that have been introduced in most parts of the state. If we're putting together a petition or anything like that I'll sign it-bassmassey

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I THINK THAT EVERY STATE WILL HAVE TO DO SOME THING IN THE NERE FUTHER , BECAUSE THE BACKING IS GETTING THERE AND AS SOON AS THAT HAPPENS YOU WILL SEE THINGS CHANGE LIKE THEY HAVE IN SALT WATER AND BASS, LIKE ALABAMA YOU CAN CATCH 100,200,500, OR 1,000 A DAY THEY HAVE NO LIMIT ON SIZE ARE NUMBERS AND THAT SUCKS:sad2:

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I say absolutly,,,I fish up on Chick Dam in Tn on a regular basis and a average catch is in the 10 - 25lb range with much bigger fish being caught quite often and I think the size of these fish is a direct result of the one fish over 34" rule. also the rule does a lot of good for getting the mentality of catch and release for these trophy size fish...ok it late and I might be rambling....:confused2: anyway im for it...:roll_eyes:

puddle...:big_smile:

7. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Since I dont eat fish and just catch and release anyway, I'm in :)

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I think 34 inches is still to long. Keep um under 5 pounds and let the rest go

9. katcaller

katcaller New Member

State:
    in
    If you want catch and release, join B.A.S.S. This is catfish1 where everyone has their way of fishing. Don't see others imposing their wishes on us. JMHO

10. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Hey Bumper shoot me your email. I have a letter typed up on this that I need your review and input on, also I talked to the GON editor and may have their help on this as far as making the request public and will be talking with the biologist this week

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I would absolutely support a size limit, but if it fits in the pan, it has got to go.

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Sounds good Ronnie. Welcome to the BOC!

Joe, if you and Bumper could use any help with the letter, please let me know.

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    welcome to the BOC ronnie........#1 catfish site on the net...Breakfast for everybody tonight......lmao

14. bull68dawg

bull68dawg New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would vote for it... Its a waste if you keep one more over 34 inches but as an avid practicer of the CRP, I think keeping any big fish is a waste....

15. bullothewoodz

bullothewoodz New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I support the maximum length rule. I too have seen many big cats taken from the Coosa. Lots of them hauled around in a pick up until they were ruined. We have lots of those type people here, sorry to say. If you don't believe it look in the river below Ga100 in November, thats where most of the deer are dumped. Bucks usually less their rack, none field dressed, just a hole in them. Lately there have been yo-yos shooting beavers at night cutting their tail off and leaving the rest....WHY? I've tried beavertail before, don't taste like chicken either. As for me I refuse to dress a cat over 5#. I dressed one big-un, had rather dressed a hog, wouldn't have been much harder. I'll sign on but where do we need to start? WRD? DNR? not much help there. State Capitol? Senate or House?

16. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Welcome to the BOC.

17. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al
    Bumper I will try to get the document to you. I've been tied up with this then thatm then the Altamaha tournament

18. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Bumper,
    If you need anything im close buy, give me a shout, I also can get you hooked up with Mr Price "He had a big hand in getting it passed in Al." Might be of some help with what direction to take on this and advice..

Puddle...:cool2:

19. jmcclure

jmcclure New Member

State:
    Cartersville Ga
    Fancy seeing you here Mr Wiley ,its a small internet.

20. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al
    Bumper I sent you the email yesterday, just get back with me