1 killed, 1 injured in boat collision

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by blackwaterkatz, Oct 22, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sad that this happened. I don't know the details beyond what has been reported: http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/oct/22/killed_injured_boat_collision19813/, but I've seen how those boats operate in that area, so I'm not surprised too much. A key point to note is that neither person in the smaller boat was wearing LIFE JACKETS. They don't work when they're stowed, fellows! I lost a brother-in-law in a similar incident years ago, and the life jacket he was wearing didn't save his life, but we didn't have to wait for hours, days, or even weeks for his body to be located, which was a blessing in a way.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've often wondered what this need for speed on the water is all about. In large rivers like the one I fish it is insane to go that fast. I even see em at nite goin along the river at these speeds. There are things floatin in that water that are barely visible and hittin one of em is no joke. I guess they have to make up for thier inadequate performance in other areas.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    My son is one of those who thinks he has to get there first. he just bought a bigger boat with a bigger motor so he can do 92 instead of 72.
    Every time he goes out i think of the morning i went out at day break. I was traveling slow when i suddenly hit something. the water was smooth and i had been in the area several times and knew the water was deep. I backed off and swung about 20 feet to the left. Again i hit something. I did the same thing one more time. still couldnt see anything and my jugs were out so i was in a hurry. when i came back in i slowed really slow in the area and found one of those whole trees you see on trucks on the highway. it was at least 50 feet long and just under the water where you could't see it. i know what would have happened if i had been going 92 mph. I left three jugs hooked to it but don't know if it helped or not as many boaters will go right through the middle of a bunch of jugs. I never saw the log again but i am sure it went to the main watts bar lake.

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother's Hughes, Ostrom, and Craddock;
    All three of you bring up valid points about problems with boating nowadays! Yes, I used to go fast too because I used to water ski and you have to get up to around 35+mph to do any real good on the skis but after a couple of friends and associates of mine received a broken leg and ankle respectively from submerged logs I kind of lost my interest in water skiing! At least if you hit something submerged like that with a boat it's less painful to repair! Physically that is!:wink:
    I've had, and seen things done that I would NEVER do in a boat!!:eek:oooh: Things like take a 16'-18' John Boat with a HUGE engine on it and play a version of "Russian Roulette" with a Barge pushing 6 barge's!!!:eek:oooh: That is ASKING to get killed and in a horrible way too!
    Then there is the fool that goes by your anchored boat, that is about 50 feet from the shore and your quietly fishing, from about 50' away going 60+ MPH!!! Made me so honked off one day I really considered picking up the CAR-15 and dealing with the problem myself if that drunken fool came by one more time!:angry::angry: Thankfully for him, and me too I guess looking back, he did not come back and only kept going, going, and going.
    I'm sure we all could tell horror stories far into the night or at least for several hours!
    I've always said that it's too easy in this country to get a drivers license and even worse when it comes to boats or those "Quad-Runner" things!:sad2:
    I guess the only thing we can do is WATCH OUT for everyone else and "Drive" as defensively as we can to save ourselves and our loved ones from serious harm whenever we can.
    Thanks for the posts!:wink: I'm GLAD, in a way, that I am NOT the only person that has had to deal with other "bassholes" on the water!
    Reps to ya all for the real life informative posts!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is too bad this happens .......should wear your life jacket it floats and you don't

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I generally wear my life jacket if underway. BUT, when its time to fish, I like to get comfortable. My boat sets about 2 foot out of the water so I know all the crazy skiers can see me... if they are looking. Sad thing is the law in OK says 1 person skiing, one person driving, and one person observing. I hate to even have to count the times the "observer" rule is ignored, and they fly by the local Police Department who is on the lake monitoring the boating/fishing laws. Come to think of it, I have yet to see the police boat stop anyone for anything.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'd like to add a note to the story posted in the newspaper: A couple of years back, on about the first pretty warm Saturday in April, in preparation for a local catfish tournament, I fished the same general area of the Cooper River where this accident occurred. Got there early afternoon and fished until about 1:30 am the next morning. During the late hours between dark and midnight, there were bass boats and pwc's running the river full throttle, no lights on, nothing! One bass boat passed within 30' of me at full throttle as I was anchored near a railroad trestle. As soon as things quieted down a little, I sneaked back upriver to my vehicle, loaded up, and have never been back to that area at night, and only once during daylight, and that was during the tournament. I quickly lost interest in fishing there.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    High speed boats have killed several on this lake during the 16 years we've been here. I see these nuts come by our house on the darkest nights wide open. And I've see everything in the water from logs, dock boards, dock flotation and even complete docks floating down the lake. But seems they don't hit that stuff, just people in pontoon boats!

The sheriff's marine patrol runs several units during the summer months. They do stop and ticket plenty people but not for speed, except under bridges the speed limit is 5 MPH.

Three times a week the local bass club fish. They launch up the lake and take off in a group of about 20, wide open. Curve in front of our house, lake is narrow, they almost get on top of each other making that curve. :eek:oooh:

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A little more than 30 years ago I was fishing on a small river when I came across a boat wreck.A guy in a big boat was running that river at a very fast speed when he rounded a bend and ran over a 14ft jon boat.I was on A SAR team so I had to drag for the body and I put it on the slab at the morge.Did you ever see what a prop on a 140hp outboard motor will do to a man?I did and I don't want to see it again.