#1 Flathead Catfish Baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Flamekeeper, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I know everybody talks about their favorite flathead baits, here's mine.

I haven't used a bull head yet! Plan on it asap.

anybody have special techniques they can share with others on how to use these baits, as well as other baits?

I use a weighted slip float rig 99.9% of the time fishing bottom to top.

I have here what I would use.4-5" bluegills, goldfish, creek chubs.:big_smile: one of them get the job done every time:wink:.

PS,

Oh I almost forgot,,I like the goldfish to have a little white in them ,,seems to draw more attention.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good looking baits you posted! I like all the above except I like the gills/goldfish hand sized or bigger. I know big baits don't always mean big fish but I still go as big as I can.
    I had a 4# Flattie eat a larger than my hand gill last week with no problem.:eek:oooh:
    I fish bottom in rivers and kat-bobbers in lakes.:cool2:

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You know John,,I've used the bigger baits and still do sometimes, But I get more fish, Big ones too!, with these size baits up to 6",as you said I myself caught a 14" flaty on a hand size bluegill, he didn't even get it halfway down LOL..

They can eat a prey 1/3 their size I hear.

4. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i agree i like these baits as well but i have tothrow in israeli carps and crappie.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I like the bullheads about 6"-8". Use them on a big kat bobber float and hook them behind the dorsal fin. 8/0-10/0 hook.

I will use green sunfish, redbelly perch, chubs and crawdads(big ones).

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I was gonna fish live bait for flatheads, those would be my choices...I have seen some mighty big fish caught on small live baits.

But I dont fish live baits for flatheads:big_smile:

7. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone ever use Leopard Frogs for bait? I have a bunch in my yard, but don’t know how to use them, or if Flatheads even bite on them:confused2:

8. sattv

sattv New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    THEY ARE THE BOMB !!!!:cool2:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Kenny, I'm in agreement with you on the size; as has been articulated on this site, 'credit card sized' gills are perfectly sized (you're fishin for big channels too). The bigger ones I like to eat too!