1 Blue: Anchor Help

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by perch, Aug 6, 2006.

1. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    Took my buddy's boy fishing last night on the Missouri @ Dalton. We caught 1 blue about 5 lbs. Nice, healthy looking fish (forgot camera).
    I have a question about anchors? What is the best kind to use? I had a 25# Richter Anchor, but could not get it loose last night. We anchored off a hidden wing dyke in about 30' of water. I tried to circle around and pull it loose with the motor, but would either lift the motor out of the water or pull the front end down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the anchor cost me $70.00.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I use a cheap ($17 or so) Danforth-style anchor and about 100 ft of 3/8" anchor rope. The anchor weighs maybe 4 lbs. It'll hold me anywhere I want to anchor except possibly in a very deep and fast channel current. But I don't anchor there.

You're going to lose anchors, so don't spend a lot of money on one.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Wayne, you didn't say what size/type of boat you have, but if you raised the back end, I'd guess it's not terribly large. What kind of bottom do you fish? There are a number of anchors designs, some work better than others, depending.....
    I have a 17' boat, and I use a fluke anchor in many situations, but I use 'reef' anchors a lot too, usually in areas with a lot of snags, because they can be pulled loose pretty easily.
    The richter anchor design allow retrieval in most cases. When I've used one, I lower it with a little tension on the line, in order to ensure the slide is on top when it touches bottom, then let out plenty or rope to allow it to grab. If it hangs, I run the boat directly upstream to pull the anchor backward. Running the boat in an arc could allow the rope to grab under a log or something, which then actually pulls the anchor in tighter, if you can picture what I'm saying. I lost one once like that.

4. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I use a river anchor from Walmart. Cost me $20. I buy 1 or 2 a year.

I ge the heavy one this time around, and feel that it keeps my little 14 footer in place real well.

I say.... Go cheep and buy them when needed. In the end, I pay about $40 per year, but it just hurts less than loosing a $75 anchor.

CP

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Home made is the only way to go. My anchore looks kind of like a grappling hook and has never failed. Othere's melt down 25-30 pounds of lead into a 9" or so pan and then stick a rod of some sort into the middle. I guess what i'm saying is why buy a 70$ anchor that is a pain to get back.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I couldn't have said it better! I lost one of those last week at an old blown-up damn. It ruined the fishing for the night but it waqs easily replaced!!!

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

This link may be of some help to you..

http://www.boat-ed.com/images/animations/anchoring.html

8. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I also make my own. I put an eye on the bottom of the anchor and tie the main line to it. Then I tie the main line to the top of the anchor with a peace of 30-40 # fishing line. when you get snagged you can break the fishing line and then the main line is pulling on the bottom of the anchor. This seems to work well for me. hope this helps you also.

9. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    I have a 17' Kingfisher Tri Hull with a 75 horse Force on it. It is about 56" wide. We where fishing off of a hidden wing dyke. What is a fluke anchor? Is it like a Navy anchor?

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  11. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    These anchors are easy to make if u have a welder.They have held nomatter what the bottom is like.And with the buoy retrieve system,no more strain on the back to pull em.:crazy:

Attached Files:

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, I've seen that design, and it's interesting. Questions, please?
    What are the approximate physical dimensions of that anchor?
    What size boat do you use it with?
    What is the water current where you fish? ie, strong, medium, slow

How do you use the anchor retrieval system? A really good friend gave me an extra one that he had, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. He explained how to do it, but I'm just curious as to how you use it.
    Thanks

13. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah i use the river anchor too, it holds my 16 footer real good, never had a problem yet...So until i do, I will keep using it

14. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Blackwaterkatz..... the rocker style anchor can be made or bought any size,light or heavy,with two,three,or four tines.Mine is about 20#or so,with two tines.made one with three that was 30 or more pounds and it was too big.I use it to hold a 21' alum jet boat that is 4 tons when loaded.It will hold anywhere that I have tryed on the missouri river even in the main channel.(thats where them blues are)There are two sites that sell the retrieval buoy systems that I know about....www.ezmarine.com and www.ironwoodpacific.com these sites can explain how to use the system.You also will need a anchor roller,I use the bigwater roller(can't find the web site)But they are the safest way to go using the buoy system...........Ur humble servant beartrap

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for that information. I appreciate the links.:smile2:

16. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri

Attached Files:

17. perch

perch New Member

State:
    Moberly, Missouri
    Thanks for all the advice and help. I really appreciate it a lot. Does the buoy system work without the anchor retriever?

18. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    I've had my 24 dollar Chene Anchor for awhile now (knock on wood) this anchor does a great job of holding my 16 boat once it gets a hold of the bottom.

The anchor isn’t all that heavy which is nice when it come to dropping and pulling the anchor every time I move.

Attached Files:

19. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    ........Yea it will,,,,,,,,,,have to go will explain better in a few days..........