1 big fish this weekend

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by loki1982, Sep 3, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well, its been so hot, and our lake is so low(10 foot low) that we havnt fished in about 2 months. My dad took a 1/2 day of vacation from work and we went out Friday afternoon. It was in the high 90's, water temperature showed 87. We set out 6 jugs, 3 around an island in 25ish foot of water, and 3 around the dam in 25 foot of water as well. We fished about 3-4 hours with rod and reel using worm, fresh shad, and hotdog. We tried fishing in 19 foot of water, 25 foot, and 40 foot. No bites anywhere. We checked our jugs and all were missing the bait. The middle jug at the island was standing straight up as we pulled up the entire jug went under for 10 seconds. When it resurfaced we got the fish in, a 28# blue. CPRed it and fished for 30 more minutes around the island with no bites so we called it a day. It bit on 3 baby shad hooked onto a circle hook.

This island has now produced us a 32# and a 28# and the dam has produced a 24# but we still cant seem to hook into one with rod and reel. I got pics, but I didnt get them off the camera yet, ill try and post them tomorrow.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on the fish and thnks for releasing it for future catfishermen!

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats...........biger than any I have caught

4. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    Good job on the fish hope you get more bigger ones.

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Hi Jared,
    Nice fish!
    Cool -So you use the jugs to help determine where to rod/reel fish for the active one's it sounds like(?). Have you tried drifting that lake to find the active fish?

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish brother, congrats on the catches.

7. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Congrates! That is something I have to try next is juggin.

8. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    nice catch. I have had a good fishing season this summer also here in texas. The heat is high and the thermocline is sat in good on the lakes. Just wondering are you fishing lake buchanan? I have several good spots on that lake one of them being garret island. Fish hard.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Nice fish! Congrats and thanks for sharing!!

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Keep up the good work!

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    awesome good job we couldnt catch them this weekend.theres a cool front coming

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We live about 3.5 hours from Lake Buchanan. We've fished it 3-4 times but mainly for crappie. And never in a boat. We stay at Paradise lodge, they have a nice fishing dock that we fish from, and cabins to stay in.

"Cool -So you use the jugs to help determine where to rod/reel fish for the active one's it sounds like(?). Have you tried drifting that lake to find the active fish?"

We drift fish 90% of the time for cats. We couldnt get any to bite in any locations. As far as the jugs. We always put a few jugs out. If we dont catch anything on rod and reel we might take a few small ones home to eat from the jugs, and release anything big back. And as you mentioned it helps us figure out where fish are located at, and gets us something to eat when we just cant seem to get them to bite on rod and reel.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Congrats on some nice catches. What lake are you fishing?

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Right now mostly Grapevine lake, located between Dallas and Fort Worth. Its not known for huge fish, in fact record blues are 40ish # and record flathead is 78# and that was many many moons ago(for some reason 1956 pops into my head but might be way off).

15. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
  16. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    Nice fish!!! That kinda stinks that you havent hooked one on the rod yet though.

17. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Nice Blue you got there