#1 bait for monster shovel-head catfish bait is a 8-10 in. bullhead catfish!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by andrew76, Dec 16, 2008.

1. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I truly beleive that the # one bait for monster shovelhead bait is a 8-10 in. bullhead. Let me know what u think.

2. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good bait.They stay alive on the hook longer than any other baitfish

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter much what kind of bait it is as long as you put it in front of the fish they're going to eat it. If it's summer time and they're metabolism is up you just can't tell me that a flathead will swim by one bait to get to another. He'll just eat both:smile2:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, I have caught big flats on gills, green sunfish, chubs, bullheads etc. It more about location and presentation, then bait selection.. If it had to do more with bait, then I would have to go with crawdads, or small shad... Them big boys always seem to puke that stuff up, after I get em in the boat:wink: rollo

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    5 inch bluegill got my pb flathead of 30 pounds

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Although i have caught plenty of them in Ohio, i have yet to see a bullhead in Az. All the flatheads that I have caught out here have crawdads in their bellies (the few that I keep).

7. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree with the location idea. If you place live bait in front of a big cat, he will eat it just because its there. Catfishjon

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont want to start a heated debate but it does matter what kind of bait where yer hangin that bait.....how yer hangin it..if he wants it.????.. and hopefully you get his tention with what yer using....yes at periods they will hit dang neart bout everything ya throw and other times ya couldnt bribe them if you wanted.....I'm sayin all this in respects to my area round here... my home fisherey....I mainly fish ONE spot on the sipp....i dont need to go anywhere else most the time but when/ if I do ... I mainley fish ??? say 6 miles or so section of the river...3miles above and below lock 19 on the Sipp and I get skunked...but rarely and usualey when conditions are extreme I crack under preasure(LOL) but usualey I can find something anything..rarely is it a total boat skunk...someone caught a dink-drum????.... bait presentation plays a big role in yer catch aint no doubt in my mind & what ya are using does matter ....fishereys.. habbitatt will be extremley different in yer spot form mine:confused2:Y gotta dig on Mr.whiskers when yer huntin tropheys.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never met a real fisher thet dont check that belly!:eek:oooh: oh and a flattey belly steak greased and released on my plate is allright by me(LOL)
    Here latley I have been tryin to put all this in perspective..information on the hows etc.etc. ...fisherey's location just everything comes to stradidgey technique.......Id like tobe able to fish around ....gotta be universal too NEVER unederestamate yer opponent...Mr.WHISKERS!

10. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    While I agree that tacticts and location are the most important. The bait does have something to do with it too. Pretty hard to catch a catfish if you are using a bluegill and a gar has already swam off with it or the heave current has killed it. Bullheads are my #1 not only because big Flatheads love them but because they are tuff and stay alive and wigglin. 6"-8" bullheads are my #1 when I can get them.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like to fish with bullheads when I can get them. But all my biggest Flatheads have come using Bluegills the size of my hand, or green perch!!!!!:confused2:

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have yet to get a Flathead on a Bullhead. I have used them a few times but most of my fish came on handsized gills. I know a few that were caught on bullhead this year and they were pretty nice fish.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :roll_eyes:Fellas I'd like to thank you for your input
    bulies are good-some thee best and varitey is the spice of life ....I go huntin I want gillies ..bullies ..shad..hell some stink & werms too.....I use it all have plenty of all baits cause the one there hittin is gonna get used:eek:oooh:(LOL) just my way(LOL its )been workin too:crazy::cool2::eek:oooh:

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    The ironic thing for me is that when I was growing up I never even knew what a flathead, channel or blue was...all I knew was bullheads! I would take them to my uncle by the bucket full and we would eat some and save the rest for fish fries during the winter time. I never even thought about using bullheads OR bluegills for that matter as bait! I HAVE EVLOLVED:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:...

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have access to a lot of bullheads up my way if we do decide to meet up in the spring Ken I'm gonna try and get some to bring with me along with gills and maybe perch or sm bass

16. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That would be cool.

17. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I honestly don't forsee any problems,I should be able to get a 20 pound fish in this my whole first season I have time all the time I just gotta drive and get the dang things I have faith I can get it done I hope Santa brings me a digital scale and a new digital camera though to document my catches better:wink:

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    another good thing about bullies is , if given enough running room on the leader (5 foot or so) and slow him down with a little weight he will usually run right to a flat just to become lunch lol , here is a little diagram of how to rig what in talking about . dont laugh though i was using the paint program

19. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Not sure why but I have heard that if you are trying to keep them for an extended period that Gills and bullheads do not do well in the same tank.
    You might want to keep them in seperate containers.
    A guy at a bait shop told me this. He said he tryed to keep bulls in the same take with minnows but seperated with laundry baskets and all his minnows died. Not sure why.

20. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i too have yet to catch a flathead on a bullhead. i've got a channel on one tho and missed something big one on another. i think the time of the year is important. whole shad is excellent here when the water cools. as for warm periods I prefer green sunfish. maybe when I start catching fish on bullies i'll think different.