1-5-09 report a little late

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcattracker, Jan 9, 2010.

1. bigcattracker

bigcattracker Member

State:
    virginia
    Me a friend of mine and his son put in at deep bottom tuesday morning bait was not very easy. Cast net was froze had to dip it in water to thaw out and when moving from spot to spot it would freeze again. Put the gill net out nothing. Ended up going down river to catch bait. Saw another boat at deep bottom putting out a gill net they said they weren't having any luck either. First 2 spots we only caught a couple of dinks. Tide was turning to come back in so we moved again this time we did pretty good. My friends son caught a 30-39-44 all pbs for him my friend got a 47 and I got a 38 along with a few other small ones. Ended up being on that spot for well over an hour and we caught most of them in the last 20 minutes or so. We caught one decent fish at another spot that weighed in at 37. All the fish caught were in about 20'of water. Water temp was 32 that morning. Only saw 2 other boats all day.pretty windy too all in all not a bad day. My friends son had a good time even though he did get a little cold on the boat ride. Can't wait until next time maybe I can get into a little bigger fish.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sounds like a damn good day to me! Congrats to all of you!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Glad you got your buddies on some nice fish.

4. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    [sounds like a good trip..I do have a question.You said you caught most of them in 20'ft of water.what is the avg.depth of the river and what is the depth of your depth holes there?

5. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    thats some fine fish,congrats

6. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sounds to me like a excellent trip to me, way to go.

7. bigcattracker

bigcattracker Member

State:
    virginia
    I would say the average depth would be around 30'in the channel. Any where else it could be 2' to 90'. Kinda depends the area your fishing. I hope this answers your question.
    I've caught them in as little as 2' but I've never caught them in 50'or deeper.