1/2 acre pond with flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught a 15 pounder and a 20 pounder out of this small spring fed pond i think it is only 6-10 feet deep and has been there for 60 years and is really not fished by anyone besides family do you think its possible to have some big fish in it and if so what kind of bait to use cause i caught the 2 flatheads on chicken liver which i know i not a good bait for flats there is also a big tree submerged in the pond there is a lot of bluegills in it too so if you could help me out

2. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    You might want to try gold fish throw it right next to the tree in the water more than likely the big flathead will be right in the tree maybe even cramed right up under it at night they will swim the banks looking for bait to.

3. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if there ar a lot of bluegill in the lake, what do you think the flathead are eating mostly??? Try um'. In my opinion there may be some bigger fish but I would guess not a lot. If it is that small and overfilled with fish there is not a lot of room to grow. Just my .02 though.

Good Luck!:smile2:

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Rob is right. Try the blue gill but dont expect giant fish. 15 pounds is a nice fish in my opinion.

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I would have to say the same as the rest. if there are a lot of blugill in there, then use some small ones or the goldfish.

Would have to also say that if it is that small, and you already caught5 a 15 and 20 pounder out of it, then there probably won't be a lot more left that would be any bigger!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

6. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I would try using gills, green sunfish, creek chubs, and bullhead for bait. Since the pond is 60 years old, with little pressure and you have caught flats. in it there should be some nice cats lurking around. Good fishin'

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Best way to tell pond health and can be used to judge spots on the river and lakes also is to look at the size of the bluegill. If there are alot of small ones then there are fewer large predators,and if the majority are fair to big size bluegills then it would stand to reason that a much larger predator is keeping the small and weaker ones killed off.

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I'M A TRUE BELEIVER IN FEEDING CATS WHAT THE FEED ON IN THE WATERS WHERE THEY LIVE. BETCHA IF YOU TRIED THOSE BLUEGILLS YOU'LL HAVE NICE FLATTY IN NO TIME. GOOD LUCK!

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Stick to using sunnies or liver. You dont want to introduce any other forgien baitfish into a pond of that size. As far as a big fish in there, I think you might have already caught them. Keep releasing them unharmed and they will only get bigger. Good Luck!

10. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like you have a good place to get dinner when you are in the mood for fish.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Catch the gills in there and use them. Like others have said. That would be your best bet.

12. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the advice guys it sounds like bluegills are the bait which i havnt used i also want to say that the blue gills in there are huge and the one reason why i posted is rumor has it there has been a 50 pounder pulled out

13. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Judging by the sound of it, its a small farm pond and I have experienced some weird stuff with farm ponds. I was tryin to get soe channels for dinner one night and i was jsut fishing with pieces of hot dogs, I knew there were nice ones and i got a hit, it was an 8lb bass, next was a 7 lb bass. I was so confused, bass hitting hot dogs? MY point is, in a farm pond the fish dont really have completely natural feeding habits and you might find luck with whatever bait you use.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hmmmm, a half acre pond... lots of blue gill, two decent size flatheads... sounds to me, Dr Watson, that someone has recently put those two fish in the pond. Check back in one year and there will not be so many bluegills.... but I doubt there is much bigger there, unless someone stocked it also... and if it's not your pond... be careful, some guys have no sense of humor on what they consider to be poachers...

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You will have to put in a substantial amount of time on this pond if you want to catch the big flathead on a rod and reel. You say the pond is choked with gills right? If it is he ain't hungry. I may be wrong but his two buddies should have rejected your hot dogs lol. Since they didn't I 'd put out hot dogs on 4 bank lines, anchored real good and I bet you can catch him that way.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    id say someone at some point put the flatheads in there to cut down on the blue gill population by keeping the flatheads you might upset the balance of the pond , if you keep fishing and dont catch any more flatheads then id recommend transplanting a large one or 2 to replace order

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you don't catch any more you may have to put at least one 30 pounder back in, or the gills will take over. Maybe two... but probally just the one. Hope this helps.

18. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If there are so many gills, catch em and keep em as bait, if u dont wanna mess with keeping them live over the spring and summer then jsut freeze freeze em and use em for cut bait when nothing else works. That pond sounds like a gold mine for bait, IMO.

19. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with Hoffmax, sounds like a good place to get bait to me! It is nice knowing that there are a couple of flatties in there but after awhile the hunt for those flatties on a 1/2 acre pond wont seem as exciting as catching them in a free flowing river system.....kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, it can be fun for awhile but then you will become somewhat bored and want something a little more challenging

20. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree with this comment. you start using gold fish(which is nothing but a fancy carp) you may start a problem you cant take care of. but sounds like you already have it down on how to catch some out of the pond. i would even go as far as to put a trot line across it just to take a survey of what is in it.