1/2/07 - Awesome Start to the New Year!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 3, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Had one of my best days on Gaston yesterday, as far as catching fish. None of them were big, but I used my smaller poles mostly and had a blast with 4-8 pounders. Here's the report, followed by about 20 fish pictures!:cool2:

Left for the lake at 3am, arrived at 4am. First priority was catching bait, did have a few Big Gizzard shad that were only a couple days old and had been on ice. Good thing, because bait was very hard! Water was sort of low, which most likely had something to do with the bait being hard to catch. It took me almost 2 hours to catch bait! Went to all of my main spots, and ended up with about 30 of the smaller 6-7 inch shad.

So, by 6am we had the boat in and started fishing. Fished all new spots with the exception of fishing the mouth of Pea Hill Creek. First spot was not far away at all from the boat ramp, a deep flat beside a big point, and secondary main lake channel. Usually we fish the end of the point. Wasn't long before one of my reels started screaming and I caught an 8lb Blue Cat. Didn't get anymore good hits after that for a while, so moved.

Fished the Mouth of Pea Hill second, stayed there a long time. Caught many fish there, all nice Blue Cats. Action slowed down after a while though, and we moved again.

Fished a few different main lake spots, all new ones, down on lowest end of the lake, not too far up from the dam. They were all awesome spots! Mostly around 60ft deep. First spot was extremely fast action for a little bit, had 2 fish in a row that hit my bait while it was sinking, and about pulled the pole out of my hands! Missed them both somehow, probably because they didn't have the hook good, but I think they were a little bigger. Fished that area until 3pm out there, caught a lot of nice Blue Cats. Then ran out of bait, and went and got some more Gas, and went searching for bait. Went in Pea Hill Creek, expecting to probably only be able to find a few Bream, we went in a shallow grassy cove, and I started to see a lot of 6-7 inch Blueback Herring! Took about 30 minutes, and then I had plenty of bait to finish off the trip. Searched around a little while, didn't see many fish in our usual spots, and fished the same spots as we had earlier down by the dam. Wasn't fast action, but picked up a few more nice Blue Cats, and as usual missed a few.

Then it got dark, and we fished several other spots and ended up with a few more Blue Cats, not real fast action, but very steady. Could have caught many more, but had school today, and already had been up way over 24 hours.

The trip was a great success, most of all because we learned a lot of new things on the lake due to trying new stuff and having enough time finally to really fish hard. All fish except one were released also.

Ok, now I'm going to let the pictures do the talking.:big_smile:

P.S. A lot of pictures, so it's going to take a lot of post to get them all on here. Some of them also look just like duplicates, but they aren't, it's just the fact most of the fish were exactly the same size. Also, did not take pictures of all of the fish, because I was having a lot of trouble with my camera battery, but I think I only missed 3-4 fish.

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    More pictures.........

Attached Files:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Again, more pictures......

Attached Files:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    And again...more pictures....

Second picture, my poles in the sunset.

Attached Files:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, once again, more pictures.....

Attached Files:

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Only a couple more pictures left.....sorry about the Blur.

Attached Files:

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Way to go Zakk.What a way to start the new year.Congrats on the catch,and thx for pictures.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks buddy!:smile2:

9. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Daylight to Dark and beyond. That's hardcore right there! Way to go!

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    looks like the fish are biten good nice looking pic thanks for sharing

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, they are biting very good, water temp is crazy for this time of year, it's 50! Also, trying new spots paid off a lot I believe.

12. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks Zakk For Sharing All Those Pics Sure Looked Like You Had A lot Of Fun And In January What A Wonderful Way To Start The New Year Off With A Bang.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks,

It was a blast for sure! But as Richard said, it was pretty hardcore. Which resulted in me feeling like crap at school today...lol Had to pay the price for the great day I guess.

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Sounds like a great time, little brother. Thanks for the pics and the report. So sorry you didn't have the best day at school, but oh well, you'd do it again wouldn't ya :lol:?

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Tanya,

And heck yeah I'd do it again!:lol: Been a very long time since my dad has actually had enough time off work to take me fishing like he us to, which is going fishing from morning to night, or fishing from evening to morning.

16. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Thanks Zakk for sharing the pics and stories!

17. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    thanks for sharing How are the rest of us goibg keep up with that kind of action in januray

18. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dang Zakk I'm jealous, that was one heck of a day fishing.
    I probably won't even get in a boat again for another two or more months.
    Winter is a bummer up here just for that reason.
    Thanks for the pic's, it is nice to have a reminder now and again why I have a boat, that thing in the back yard under a tarp covered in snow.:angry:

19. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    thanx for sharing the pics Zakk nice looks like a nice day and eve out..

20. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    zakk looks like you had a great time! i see you use slip bobbers i was wonderin how you rig em up? how deep and what not. thanks!