1-17-09 Bobcat #2

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by jlingle, Jan 18, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Caught another bobcat today. This one was quite a bit bigger than the one from Friday. I guess the cats must really be moving right now. There were cat tracks everywhere this morning when I went to check my line. I had another tripped Victor that was empty this morning.:confused2: GRRRRRR..... I've got some mb550's ordered and when they get here, they're replacing every one of those old Victor #3 traps I've got out.

I had my son with me, and my buddy Kent & his 2 boys. They were flippin' smooth out over that cat. The boys thought that was some really cool stuff. He was a really nice tom. The first picture shows Kent and all the boys, and Kent is holding the cat. Kent is 6 ft. tall i that gives you any indication of the cat's size. He was pretty nice.

Attached Files:

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Congrats ... great looking cat ... keep up the great job you are doing ... How much do you want to sell those #3 victors for ? ........ Garry-

3. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    darn it garyyou beat me to it lol oh well lol very nice ca by the way:cool2:

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Big Cat for sure.

What do they normally hunt for?

Rabbit?

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great looking cat!! Congrats

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Are the traps baited or just strategically placed along natural lines of drift for animals?

Would seem to be a tuff way to catch animals without some type of bait?

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Paul, I think that it depends on what you are going after. Some need bait, some are put on trails or in funnels. I am still learning the ins and outs though

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know a prize when I see it.... Nicely Done:roll_eyes:
    I never got into trappin but I gotta say cool...Thats a purdey Kittey that aint dangin off the hook:wink:Yes sir!:cool2:

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Traps aren't generally baited themselves. DPs (dog proof) and live traps are the exception.

Bait is placed so critters will step on trap on its way to take bait.
    Other sets called blind sets use no bait and are placed in trails.That includes snares.

Have a good one
    just

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Paul, I tried using some bait in a dirthole, but kept getting lots of non-target animals like coons, coyotes, skunks, and possums. I switched to just scent posts (like was suggested by a member here) and bingo..... cats. I use a lure on the posts made from bobcat glands, and I also use bobcat urine at the set. Usually I try to find a few coyote or cat turds in the area, and I use them for eye appeal at my set. The turds are what I squirt the bobcat urine on. I have a roadkill bunny in the freezer & I pull tufts of bunny fur off him to scatter around the set as well. It just makes for something that these local cats have been liking.

For lure I've been using Caven's Feline Fix. I'd tried Dobbins Purrrfect bobcat lure, but didn't have a lick of luck on it. They're both supposed to be made from bobcat glands & stuff.... but the two look different, smell different, and are even of a different consistency. The Feline Fix just looks like a much fresher lure to me & the cats have responded better to it.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Paul,Bobcats will hunt for bunnies and other rodents ,most of the time,But they are hell on nesting gamebirds like turkeys,phesants and waterfowl.

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those cats with the big black spots are really pretty. I killed one while rabbit hunting a couple of years ago. The cat was 34 pounds. The thing cost me $600 and sits on the t.v. This year I killed one that was 27 pounds while muzzle loader hunting. Looks like another $600.

13. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a picture of my cat mount.

Attached Files:

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nice looking kitty there.