1/15/07 - Great time on the lake!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 16, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We took our friend Mario fishing yesterday. He has been wanting to go for a long time, and it finally worked out for him. He had never caught a fish over like 2 pounds before we took him. Unfortuantely it was VERY windy which made the fishing very hard until the very end of the trip when it finally calmed down.

Arrived at Lake Gaston around 9am.

We had about 20 small shad from a couple days ago that were on ice, so we knew we were going to have to catch more bait. First we went to spots we have been catching them recently, could barely get the anchor to grab due to the wind, then I had a run and when I tried to set the hook the anchor pulled up and we started spinning and I didn't get the fish, we kept fixing the anchor but the wind just was so strong we had to give up and head for spots on the opposite side of the lake that were protected from the wind. Well, we started catching a lot of fish, but all small ones, 3-5 pounds. Wasn't long before we had ran out of bait from the fast action.

We went patrolling around, and I tried out my new Aqua-Vu, saw some Bream and Bass....and finally a few shad. We were riding in a shallow cove with grass, we could tell there was a lot of bait in there. When we got in the grass and used the paddle and trolling motor to make a little hole in it, the shad would get confused and I would catch them. I did it for about an hour and managed to catch about 200 small shad, around 6-7 inches.

Now, the wind was still really bad, so we continued to fish spots along the calm shore, the pattern lately has been fishing beside coves in around 60ft of water.

Basically, to keep it short, the action stayed hot all day and we caught a lot of fish from 3-5 pounds, and then at the very end of the day the wind died off mostly, and we fished spots we have been getting nicer fish at, then my dad got an 8lber, a 6lb Channel Cat, and my friend Mario caught a couple around 6 or 7 pounds.

It was a fun day, and a good way to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day.:wink:

I think we probably caught like 20 fish or more, I didn't take pictures of all of them though.....

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    More pictures...........

Attached Files:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    More pictures........

Attached Files:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Last set of pictures, hope you enjoyed them.

Attached Files:

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Zakk

Nice day of fishing. Just how many poles were y'all using? Seems like a lot looking at the pictures, nothing but poles in the background.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for sharein the pics and story Zakk.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks Zakk looks like you guys had a great time! Keep posting your reports your helping me get through my withdrawl of fishing lol! Take it easy bro.

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, we really have cracked a little code! Feels good, kind of like when we discovered the slip bobber bite in the Summer.

And to answer the question about poles, we usually use around 10 total, and at the most 12. When the action gets really hot though like the past few trips we only end up having to use like a couple poles a piece.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice bunch of eaters Zakk thanks for sharing sounds like ya had a ball

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats great you got your friend on some fish.way to go fellas.Thanks for posting pictures.

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Zakk! You are the man! It's gonna take me all year to catch up to your January fish count!:eek:oooh: Another great report, keep up the good work!:worship: :worship: :worship:

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, the water has also been warmer than most years which has been helping us keep catching them. I hope to go some this weekend as well, it's going to be very cold, but hopefully not windy, I probably won't go fishing much anymore when it's going to be as windy as it was the other day.

13. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    Looks like you had a great day, seeing that makes me jelouse the waters are all frozen over here. keep catching them and posting the pics because it helps your northern brothers get through the cold.

thanks Zak

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, I will make sure to keep posting them then, I'm glad the water doesn't ice over here, I don't know if I could make it through that.:crazy:

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yeah, I'm glad it doesn't ice over too. I wouldn't make it through it. Nice fish there Zakk. you'll have to come down and fish the yadkin chain sometime. We got some nice ones down here, but I think you got plenty yourself up there on Gaston. Seems like ya'll got a healthy cat population up there. see ya

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, Gaston Lake is very healthy, but it seems that there may be a small overpopulation of smaller Blue Cats. There's hardly any fishing pressure for the Blue's here, we usually keep the small ones to eat, but lately we have been letting all fish go because we have enough fish in the freezer to last a long time, I hope it doesn't get too bad. I guess not having a lot of other catfisherman has it's disadvantages as well, it's a very hard lake to fish and I think that's why nobody else fishes for Cats, and when they do, they can never seem to catch them.

I have been wanting to fish the Yadkin chain though....one day....

Zakk

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks for sharing Zakk, hoping to get out on the water this weekend myself, probably for trout though. Yall could have had another freezer full of meat with all those fish. Yall fish so much that you dont' even have time to eat. LOL, keep reporting bro, I enjoy reading your posts.

Wheelmobile07

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, Thanks....I hope to go out tonight, and of course Sunday or Monday with the new Pontoon Boat.:cool2: