Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first time out this year was a skunk. I didn't really expect much.
But, there were a few guys jiggin' for crappie.
One fella caught 15 or so crappie (good sized critters), AND a 28.57# flathead!!
I'm going to be out here tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Glad to hear someone is getting out , wife and I are driving back from the Seneca Nation Res. right now. (Seneca NY) saw some guys fishing on some of the ponds that line the Allegheny river up there. Ice looked awful thin to me lol! ut it did make me a little fidgety lol.

I promised the wifey I would take it easy this winter and ive been true to my word...but its killing me! Last winter I drove down to DC at least every other weekend, 4 hours each way so i was gone from home a lot. Shes a champ about it, but I'm a man of my word ....should have kept my big mouth closed lol!!!!

Looking like we are about to get hammered with some rough weather, I'm hoping the local lakes get a good solid 5 or 6 inches of ice so I can get my daughter out to do some ice fishing.

Cant wait for May!! This is the year I'm going to catch a 50# flathead!

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cant wait for May!! This is the year I'm going to catch a 50# flathead!
I know what you mean brother!
Down here, we might be able to get out sometime in mid to late March.
When I saw the guy carrying the flathead to his vehicle the other day, just to get near one that size, I stopped and volunteered to use my scale to weigh it for him. 28.57 lbs !! On a crappie jig !!

I did tell my granddaughter that my New Year's Resolution is to catch myself one that size.

Seneca Nation? Isn't that on what used to be called the Lower Tier, highway 17, there in NY state? I've been there a few times. Beautiful country!

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grandpa you beat me out this year....😍 I'm jealous 🙃 course we got a 3 day weekend and it's snowing and 27* were planning on fishing Monday knock on wood
It's 23° and cloudy right now.
When I went over to the officearound noon, to pick up an Amazon package, I noticed there was what appeared to be sleet on the ground.

Spring can't really be that far off. Only about 59 days.
And counting...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
yeah I hate this weather

Low: 34°F
Mostly Clear

Mostly clear, with a low around 34. Northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

dag blasted cold

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know what you mean brother!
Down here, we might be able to get out sometime in mid to late March.
When I saw the guy carrying the flathead to his vehicle the other day, just to get near one that size, I stopped and volunteered to use my scale to weigh it for him. 28.57 lbs !! On a crappie jig !!

I did tell my granddaughter that my New Year's Resolution is to catch myself one that size.

Seneca Nation? Isn't that on what used to be called the Lower Tier, highway 17, there in NY state? I've been there a few times. Beautiful country!

Yep, the res is located at the north end of kinzua reservoir. Pretty part of the country no doubt! I love seeing the upper reaches of the Allegheny river. Its really neat to see how different the river is above the dam. If you didnt know any better, it looks like a totally different body of water. Wide floodplains, lots of ponds and wetlands.

What was the water temp that the guy caught that flathead in? I sure wish we could fish for them year round here! You keep sitting on the bank and throwing baits in the water, you will get your chance at one of them eventually!

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yep, the res is located at the north end of kinzua reservoir. Pretty part of the country no doubt! I love seeing the upper reaches of the Allegheny river. Its really neat to see how different the river is above the dam. If you didnt know any better, it looks like a totally different body of water. Wide floodplains, lots of ponds and wetlands.

What was the water temp that the guy caught that flathead in? I sure wish we could fish for them year round here! You keep sitting on the bank and throwing baits in the water, you will get your chance at one of them eventually!
I don't know what the water temp was. Air temp was around 60°, and a little wind blowing out of the North.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd kill to see 60 right now lol! We got buried under a foot of the white mess. My guys are digging out several jobs as we speak. Had to cancel a couple of big material deliveries that took weeks to coordinate, looking at lows in the single digits the next several days.

Guess I'll get my chance to go ice fishing lol!

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
J. Lewis: We've been having early Spring and late Fall weather and temperatures here in Oklahoma. Only a couple of days below 35°.
And the next week is more of the same. One night shows in the teens, the rest aren't forecast to be excessively cold.
I've been to Pennsylvania in the Winter. So I know it gets cold and snows like nobody's business up there.
Believe me, I don't envy you folks up there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts