1/13/2007 Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Headed out yesterday around noon to get some fresh shad and opted to try a new spot up near Dayton, since I was confidant I could catch a few shad in the high water, I didnt bring any frozen. So off I go, 1st throw, net didnt really open, so next throw it only gets slightly better so the 3 rd throw I finally get the hang of it but by now there is no shad anywhere near where I been thowing so the 4th throw I send it out and over a bit and quicky get the net hung. :angry: :angry: I start to pull on it and immediately get, Ping, Ping ping and a ping as I broke 4 of the main guy wires ( mono) so i realize that is not gonna work so I work my way into the water very carefully ( I had my chest waders on) and a 6 ft long stick and after about 20 minutes get my net back, damage had been done, turns out 5 main mono were busted and at least 30" along the bottom of the net was tore down near the collar near the weights.:angry: Ok so now I have no net and no bait, so I call Dinkbuster who was just waking up ( 3rd shift) and tell him to bring some frozen shad when we meet which was an hour later. So in that hour I get to a parking lot and spread out the net and tried my best to rebuild it, it took all of the hour to do it:angry: :angry: :angry: and then Dink showed up soo we hoofed it for 20 minutes to get to a nice bank spot, then worked our way back towards the cars. We fished about 4 spots and I think we landed 4 channels and I think Dink had at least 1 more on between us. All fish between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs. It drizzled all afternoon and Water was up 1.5 ft. and dropping so there was no debree hardly and water temps were in the 40 degree range. It seemed the bite started ok around 2:45 and slowed down as we fished till about 5:30. Overall the bite was off compared to our past few trips to this area.

All in all it was good to get channels in January and to get the first fish of the year for both of us so I guess I should be glad I didnt bring the brand nnew net I got for Christmas:wink:

Salmonid

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Salmonid,

Glad to see you can still get to fish up there. GMR in Hamilton has +6 feet over night, and headed higher.

Dennis

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good job on the catch Mark. I learned the lesson last year about throwing my net in muddy, flooding water. Mine got hung on something and the currant was more than I thought it would be so I ripped mine up good trying to get it loose.

4. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A crappy start for the day, but ended it pretty good with some channels to show. Way to go guys!

5. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    AWESOME !! :big_smile: channel cats in January !!! man i usually dont catch my first cats till March !! :angry: I know what its like tearing up those cast nets i went through 4 this summer !!!
    :angry:

6. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    The rivers are really crashin now...:eek:oooh: now I see the really cold temps will be settling in...:sad2: see ya all in March....THE CATKING !!!

7. cincynick

cincynick New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good jog, thinking about hitting the GMR around Hamilton soon.

8. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was looking at the Catfish Connection website and found this site under links. I just retired from teaching in the Miamisburg school district and am anxious to begin catfishing. I think I can wait until this cold snap is over, but if any of you guys want to go anytime, let me know. silverwmark@yahoo.com
    By the way, Mark, are you a member of Waterscape? I thought I saw your name on the register a few times....
    Mark

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nope not a member there but have been a few times with my buddy Dan Matouch ( sp?) that s a nice place but for the money, I could never justify it with all the good water all around us, Im a river more then a lake guy. You may have seen my name in any number of places, Im tied in all over the place with a ton of fishing and conservation groups
    Check your emails, I got a another question for ya.
    Salmonid

10. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, I know Dan, have run into him several times. I checked my yahoo email, it was empty?