1/13/07 - Caught a Couple!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 13, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    It was a VERY short fishing trip today, so I will keep the report kind of short also.

Got to the lake about 4pm, didn't have any bait, so went to some shallow areas where we had been catching the shad recently. We couldn't find any though, so we went back to where one of my friends lives. He said he had been catching shad off his dock, when I got there they were outside. We couldn't catch any bait, so they gave us some they had caught earlier, very nice thing of them to do, saved our whole trip because my dad had to be back home for Work around 7:30.

So, we went ahead fishing in the same area we had caught all of the fish a couple weeks ago. Apparently, we have found some good new spots, they were there! Didn't have but about an hour to fish, got a lot of bites and hook-ups during the hour we sat there. Only managed to catch 2 of the Blue's though, I caught them, an 8lb Blue, and a 3lb Blue. Both my dad and I hooked many we lost, most seemed to be those decent size ones we have been catching, but finally at the very end of the trip, I hooked into a NICE fish, I know it had to be 20-30 pounds, got it about halfway in, and I felt it do the deadly 'Alligator roll" followed by my hook popping out.

On the way out, at the boat ramp, I noticed shad flipping on top of the water. And managed to catch about 25, all NICE size Threadfins. So we might go fishing tommorow since we have bait.

Here are the pictures of the only two fish put in the boat today, still not bad for a very short trip.

Attached Files:

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    well...for an hour of fishin', I think you did great! Especially gettin' ahold of a brute like the last one. Say...you wouldn't know any good spots in S.E. Kansas would ya?:tounge_out: Good job, Zakk. And thanks for lettin' us know how you're doin'.

-Red

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, no I don't think I know of any good spots in Kansas.:lol: I did know of one or two when I was little because my aunt lived there. I used to fish this little spot called the Tubes down below Tuttle Creek Lake....I think that's the name of it, I believe Dafin may know what I'm talking about?

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Zakk - You the man! Way to go bro! Keep on catching them cats and somebody is gonna want to interview you for a magazine!:cool2:

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Scott! And I hope you're right.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Man you got it made lol ! Keep catching all those fish. I like reading the reports so keep writing those too!

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    good to see somebody catchen'em this month... I know it aint been me lol. Good job bro...

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Keep catching those bigguns little brother.Thanks alot for sharing and posting the pictues.Nice fish!:big_smile:

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That's Cool :cool2: "

"Way to Go"! :big_smile:

"Keep up the good work" (& the reports :wink: ).

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the report glad you caught som good fish and in only an hour they were bitin real good

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks everyone, I'm probably going on a real trip tommorow morning.

12. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
  13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Glad to see someone catching fish, the only thing were catching up my
    way is snow and ice.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, it's suppose to snow here next weekend, should be good fishing.

15. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    That is Awesome some nice winter blues. Zach I am wondering what kind of line do you use if you are using mono the stretch might be causing you to not be able to make good hooksets since you are fishing so deep.

16. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Very nice ! !
    WTG ! ! !

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Zakk, are they from Smith Mtn. lake?

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on the catch and thanks for the report

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks.

To answer the questions;

I do use Mono line, Big Game mostly in 25 and 30lb line, I have tried braided line and will never use it again.

And the fish are from Lake Gaston.

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    You sure you didn't just get a bad experience with that braided line? I wouldn't go back to mono now after using braided for quite a few years for anything. I still use 50# mono on my leaders but you can't beat the strength, casting ability and long lasting quality without any memory of the braid. I have Spiderwire on my bass poles and fish Power Pro on my catfish poles and I definitley like the Power Pro a lot better. As fas as feeling fish bite and especially like someone said for setting hooks when you have a lot of line out that braid certainly does it for me.