1.11 Report and new PB Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Today was a stellar day of fishing.
    I met up with Paraguaygay bright and early at the DB boat landing, glad to say it was warmer then I expected. We started out dropping the gill net then headed back to the landing. There we saw Bruce putting in, talked a bit , then went to check the net. It was full of eating size catfish, full meaning more then I catch on the bank in a month...a good month. We set it out again then managed a gizzard to use while we waited for more bait to land in the net.
    We had good action. I think the first fish was 17lbs, largest fish I've ever landed, then another a pound or so larger. Seemingly right in a row. Another hit ran the line a bit differently, might have been a Rockfish. It let go. Another monster spit the hook out right as it surfaced, could have been a 40 pounder.
    We went back to the gill net to a mother load of cats, the river is full of cats.... after that we put the net out and before the final bouy was put on it was bobbing on all the corks....full of gizzards. At least a couple dozen.
    We were set for bait.
    On our way down river we met up with Bruce to give him some gizzards, it was very windy toward Presquile Isle so we headed back up river to escape the wind.
    Well to make a long story short we ended up at the DSS:wink: and tore it up. Landed a ton of monsters and had a great day.
    I think the first pic is about 47lbs, the second 48 and the third 49. There were some other huge ones, so many I couldn't keep track. Great day.
    Thanks go out to Paraguayguy I had a great fishing experience.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Enjoyed fishing with you today. Glad we were able to find a few quality fish for you. Now if we can just keep Josh and my long lost Danville Cousin Mike Burnett out of the double secret spots, there might be a fish or two left to catch.:smile2:

Saw Bruce Conner today and fished within hollaring distance to him. He had one of his pals with him. He told me they lost a brute.

Its winter time boys,,,,go get em,,,they're snapping.

3. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Great report David and congrats on the PB's:smile2:

4. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    WTG David and Kenneth:smile2:
    Glad ya'll had a great day..
    Kenneth when are you gonna take me fishing,huh,huh,:confused2:
    MIght get some more double secret spots...
    Oh I am in Gretna...

mikeb

5. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    That back ground looks like the super double secret spot I told you about???? Between you and Josh my spots are not gonna be secret anymore... hehe..... I am gonna have to keep my new secret spots a secret this year.... :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great job guys....way to go on the new PB Dallison!

Doesn't look familiar....but if it's where I think it is, I chummed the hole last week with about a dozen gizzard shad, so you're welcome.:smile2:

7. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Double Secret Spots,,,,,,,Maybe,,,,,,,,Could be,,,,,,,Probably,,,,,:wink:

Thanks. It was the first time I really tried there. Sorry about disrespecting you Mike. Danville,,,,Yuck!,,,,,,Gretna is Da Bomb!

Thanks Cameron,(Mike). Great Spot.

8. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Kenneth,no dissrespect here...
    well maybe for a seat on ya boat:wink:

If I can keep on I will have seats on all of yalls boats:smile2::smile2::smile2:
    mikeb

9. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    The welcome mat is always out on my old Lund. I am leaning towards going Friday if the weather allows.

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for the report....Sounds like a great day

11. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Great job on a PB and then some!! If you don't mind me asking, what river were you guys fishing on? I'm not from the area, and just wondered what body of water you guys were fishing. Enjoy more of these prime-time, cold water blues!

12. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry for not mentioning the River. We were on The James River. Launched from Deep Bottom. Water temp was 41 degrees, Gizzard Shad for bait. Best luck was fishing the downwind side of the river where the 20 MPH NW wind was piling up plankton, baitfish, and whopper Blue cats.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice day of fishing w/some huge cats, congrats

14. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Dave, great job on the PB.

You did take the hand held GPS w you to mark the double secret spot w/o Keneth knowing right?:wink:

Put the info on ebay and you might be set for life..........I'll start the bidding @ $100.00:smile2:

Great job guys, cant wait to get back out.

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    congrats on the PB great fish keep the reports and pics coming!!!

16. cameron_krazie

State:
    virginia
    Kenneth, you did tell Davey about if he tells the spot he looses a finger for each person that finds out right... Just wanted to make sure the people we take there know the price... And by-the-way glad the spot was able to get you on some nice fish Davey, congrats on the new pb's... Only a hand full of people know about that area and I'm sure you can see why now... Glad Kenneth was able to use my spot and put you on some fish. Hey Kenneth, I'm still waiting on the pay back spot ??????? :wink:

17. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't think I'll be giving up the spot. The rivers big enough for more spots to be found.
    david

18. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Those are the days we dream about and what spoil us. What as great Blue Cat fishery we have here in Virginia. Great job guys:smile2:

19. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Mike, All you have to do is hop in my boat and I will gladly show you every spot I have. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so, Maybe you could point out a few more as we are motoring around.:smile2:

20. cameron_krazie

State:
    virginia
    lol... Its the same way on my boat.. I wanna hop on your boat say early to mid april up near the 95 bridge on one of those striper trips you make... You seem to have those upriver stripers down to a tee... Just kidding about the pay back, but would be nice to get together oneday. Glad you were able to show Davey a good trip. Thats what sharing spots is all about... The oppertunity to put someone that hasn't had a banner day before on a fishing trip they will not soon forget... Im always glad to share spots with someone who has wasted as much gas as I on the river... :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: quote=Paraguayguy;1312925]Mike, All you have to do is hop in my boat and I will gladly show you every spot I have. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so, Maybe you could point out a few more as we are motoring around.:smile2:[/quote]