09' season success

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Little Tree Rat, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went out today with my dad and little brother. Didn't see or hear much at our first spot, but we moved on. A little food and a nap came before more hunting. The wind was blowin around 16mph all day, not very good for turkey huntin. We walkin and set up, but soon moved on. We called in a couple of places and then found a spot to hunker down. Just when we all had givin up hope of gettin a bird, i stood up to stretch, as i was about half way up i looked around to check for birds, just then 3 jakes stop and stare at me. Luckly i had my gun in my hands or i dont think this would have worked out, when they started to move again, i VERY slowly got down on my knee. I aimed, and shot the bird in the middle, i guess he wasnt the biggest of the 3 but he weight about 13 lbs. We were all excited, 1st off we dont have to go out in the crappy weather tommorrow, and 2ndly it sure feels good to get a bird on a day like today. Only thing that i wish had gone differently is that my little brother had been able to see the birds walkin, and then see the bird drop, i had to shoot over his head cuz of where the birds were, but he still said he had fun, and next year he gets to hunt youth season and im movin up to regular season with my dad...Although it was a step down from what i got last year *a big tom* i still had fun, and can say that im 2 for 2!! Hope everyone else has good luck

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Way to go little rat thats awsome,not a little excited are you.:smile2:

3. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Congrats on getting a nice bird:cool2:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats Mallory. Glad ya got one.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats Mallory, sounds like you all had a long day but the patince payed off in the end!!!!:0a28: post a pic if you have um.

6. Little Tree Rat

State:
    Kansas
    i messed up will try postin a pic when i get to my house

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

You GO girl! That's awesome, thanks for the report! :cool2:

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats on the bird, Can't wait to see the pic!

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Check over in the Local Kansas Talk forum Jess. Mallory's dad (Kansas Tree Rat) posted some pics.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    thanks, will go over there and look

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Way to go Mallory!

12. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Here is the best pic of Mal with her bird.
    I am very proud of her for many reasons. Stright A student, Varsity softball player (as a freshman no less) and a darn good little hunter. Don't know how I could ask for anything more.
    She really kept her cool when these birds slipped in from behind us. This was not a case where dad did all the work. She was very careful as she stood up and then did everything right to get the job done.
    BTW in her story she says she had to shoot over masons head, just want to make it clear that she means he was under the gun, she was right next to him on her knees and he was sitting on the ground. It was not like she shot in his direction. Safety is always first with us and I hope it is with you.
    Turkey hunting is a super way to break the kids into hunting. There is nothing better than spending time in the woods or on the water with your kids!

Attached Files:

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    congrads on the turkey Mallory ,sounds like u r very lucky ,to be able to spend quailty time with family doing fun things. bet dad stays buzy beating the boys away from the door:wink: way to go young LADY

14. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on the bird!! Its good to see youngsters in the outdoors.

15. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    congrats Mallory:wink:

16. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Way to go Mallory.

opj

17. Little Tree Rat

State:
    Kansas
    for more pics...check out my page...i made a new album!!! :)

18. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Congrats Mallory, That is a story you will hold for the rest of your life, to tell your kids and grand kids many years down the road. :wink:

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congratulations to ya! Must feel good to not have to go out there in that wind!:wink: