09/03/09

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is it me or is the first photo with the buck to the left seem odd? He has a great body on him but the rack just doesn't seem to fit him and looks small on his frame. It would seem to me he should have the biggest rack there. Nice deer anyway you look at it. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    That deer is a young one, 2 1/2 years old I'm guessing, he has a tiny spot on his right back leg that ID's him pretty well. Last year he was a small knot head 6 point with his first rack. Be interesting to see what he does next year if he makes it another year.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Sam. I sure enjoy watching those bucks mature!

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Sam you are liveing a lot of guys dream. Great pictures, Thanks.

5. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    thanks for sharin sam, those are gonna be some nice bucks. that one in the 4th pic looks pretty wide

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sam? Oh,Saaaammmm!!! New pictures please!! Starting to have withdrawals!
    Haha! Thanks!!!

7. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Wow great photos, I know you have put a lot of hard work into getting a herd like that. Do you see the deer in bachelor groups like this during the day? Sure you have some type of management program going on, if so how many deer do you take a year, age, and do you cull out the week racks. How long has it taken to get to this point? What you are doing is working!:big_smile:

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Biggest management tool we use is letting the young bucks get some age on them. Arkansas put a 3 point rule on the books several years ago, buck must have at least 3 points on one side before it can be killed except for youth hunters 15 and under, this helped a lot in our area and showed us what get'n some age on a deer would do. On our farms we take it a little further and try and look a deer over and guesstimate their age. We try not to take a deer before he's at least 3.5+. It really helps keep'n out the trail cameras so we can see what really out there and how they are doing. We plant food plots, lots of peas in the spring and early summer and wheat, oats and winter peas in the fall. Our land has lots of honeysuckle, blackberries, persimmon, oaks and clover already. We also let the outside 50 to 100 feet of all the fields grow up and most of the draws get left alone too. We keep feeders out year round, but don't feed that much, they're more a place to keep the cameras to get pictures than for nutrition.

9. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Sam, Thanks for the info. I start 2 years ago trying to get some of the people around me involved in management, a few have took to it real well and some do what ever they want ( there land there right ), my doe to buck ratio got way off and I have been working on that hard the last 2 years. I let all the small bucks grow and try to take mature deer. I have shoot some old deer that I seen that just didn't have much going for them:sad2:. I hope someday to have what you have done. Way To Go. Hope you have a good season:big_smile: