07 slower than average?/fish kill

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Goldenshinner, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ok in the interest of separating this topic. any one of the opinion that 07 has been exeptionaly slow as far as total numbers of fish???

this might seem strange as i know allot of people are having an exceptionaly high amount of fish. but not me. me and it seems alot of the people i contact with have had a bad year. what sayeth the board members???

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This spring was good for me (pre spawn), though it is almost like as if some one turned off the switch. It doesn't keep me from going out, fish or no fish I will be on the water.

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I cant complain one bit on the year I have been having. The year started out great, then as the river started dropping, it took a few weeks for me to relocate the flatties. This is the first time I can remember that I havent went out without at least hooking one fish.

Its been a learning year for me, as now I am using bait I would have never thought of using, and bait I would have thought would produce, hasnt got me anything. Out with the bullheads and in with the new bait of choice.

Rushing~
    Hows your fishing been down in the St Peter area? We had what might of been the best year we have ever had down there fishing. Multiple big fish taken out of virtually the same spots as always.

I figure I've got about 2 weeks left of fishing for flatties, then its up to "the big pond" for some serious 'eye fishing.

4. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

5. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    I think I commented to someone earlier this year that anyone can catch a flathead during the prespawn period. I know a couple guys who had never fished flatheads in their life, who took a few tips, put some time in, and caught a ton of fish in late May-June (couple high 30-low 40lb fish too).

Then we roll into July, and things change. Water level is down, flow is down, flats are spawning. It gets harder and harder to put time in as your time on the water doesn't seam to be rewarded.

This is a great time to fish channel cats as they are on a feeding rampage!

Which brings us to where we are at now in the calender year. I would categorize now as 'Hit or Miss'. You either get 'em or you don't. One day, your baits won't even move, next day, Mr. Big eats. Can't figure out the rhyme or reason yet but approaching storm systems definitely seam to be a trigger for larger fish. I think mobility is important, you have to fish a number of different spots per night. With the water being low, there are definitely some places the flats key on now. Figure that out, you'll have success.

After talking with a couple very seasoned river rats last weekend, they conclude that the popularity of fishing flatheads now, and the fishing pressure associated with it, are having an impact on your nightly fishing. According to them, the good ole days were a solid 10 years ago. By good ole days, they were catching 15+ flats per night, typically a (2) 40 pounder night wasn't out of the question. Thats mind boggling when I consider catching 1 a good night.

As for bait... I don't think their is a magic bait. Bullheads, Suckers, Creek Chubs all have their time and place. If bullies aren't working, try something else. Catfishing has more to do with location than anything. Put a bait in the right spot and you'll get bit, if there is a fish around.

6. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with Hanson. With the popularity of catfishing on the rise, the bigger ones are still common, but very rarely a few big fish in a night. Its too bad with all the newbies to the sport, many arent taking the time to CPR the big fish...as on a few occasions this year I have seen/heard of 50+ lb fish not being returned to the water.

As often as I try new spots with the river ever changing, the old faithful spots still always seem to produce, moreso than the new places I try. With the river down this low, its a great opportunity to spend a day near the river checking out spots/structure normally not seen with high water levels.

In my years of fishing for flatties, I have NEVER had a year where cutbait (and other bait) have produced big flatties like this year. I have always used cutbait for channels, but never have caught any flatties of size with cutbait.

Also, this year I have caught my biggest fish in the mid afternoon(around 2ish). Up untill this year, I had never saw any point in going out a couple hours before sunset. There arent that many deep holes left with the water this low. Find a nice deep hole, and sit on it during the afternoon, and you may be surprised.
    Also, I fished religiously with bullheads for the early part of the year, doing quite well, but as the water dropped, and the fish became less active, I switched bait and had even better success than I had earlier in the year.

As for the new bait of choice...I wont tell you specifically what it is, but I will say this...you dont need to go to a baitshop to get it, they are plentiful, and the places you can get them are nearby.

7. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ha ha ha. thats a good way to put that. and um im sure your right and i think ive got a good idea what your saying. thanks dude!

8. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Whats the MN river look like? I havent been by in almost a week to check it out. How high is it?

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I really haven't fished the St. Peter area as much as previous years. Spent a lot of time in boats this season so I tended to be away from my usual shore areas.

10. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

rushing do y believe staying in the boat has helped your catch rate??? I do both. and for me it varries. durring high water most spots i like your forced to boat it. but i also like the ambience of seting up a shore base. i was out a few times this weekend. watched the river rising about a 1/2 inch per hour through most of sat. fished a few spots, and actualy did allright for once. small channels and small flaties. nothing special but good for fishing out of my tailgate.and the best ive done in the streach closer to the cities, im guessing that the river will reach late june levels again and then drop fast. hopefully they start moving for the end of the season bite.weve only got afew weeks left before the water temps start droping. im under the impression that the river water temps been cooler this year than years past. at least for the month of august.

11. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

say rushing y got a 20'jet river pro?

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    No boat fishing hasn't helped my catch rate at all. All my nicer fish have come from shore and no I dont have a river pro or any boat for that matter. :smile2: Boat = bad luck for me but I sure like being out on the river.

13. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I have a boat, but prefer shore fishing.

Have I caught bigger fish from inside the boat? Yes.
    Have I caught fish quicker from a boat? Yes.

But NOTHING is more relaxing than sittin on shore with a cold one, and a fire crackling, even if the clicker doesnt go off. I'd rather spend an evening on shore with 1 or 2 runs, then spending that time in a boat moving from spot to spot in search of the big one.
    Besides, not having to land a boat, travel to a spot/spots, travel back to the landing and landing the boat = more fishing time for me fishing from shore.

My fishing time is limited nowadays, so every minute extra I can have a line in the water is better for me.:big_smile:

14. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I agree with you Ryan. Shore fishing is more relaxing. Just like you said, the fire, the cold one, friends, not worrying about landing a boat at 4am half asleep/buzzed.