07/08/09

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Matthew72, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    What are yall's thoughts on the 4X4 Ford trucks in the next few years.

I am looking to buy a new one in the next few years and want to know what to look forward to.

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'm all for ford but I'm kinda worried about the new engine(6.4) that they are coming out with. The 6.0 just got perfected and they are going to start all over agin with the trial and error. I'm for the 2002 and earlier with the 7.3. Its been the same engine, with a few mods year to year but it runs strong. Don't know why they ever did away with it. Then again those are diesel engines. Couldn't tell you much on the gas burners. Good luck

3. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    actually ford is in the process of losing the 6.4 as well...navistar builds all the powerstroke motors and they are saying they are pulling the plug on ford...look for ford to try a cat motor or a cummins.....the 6.4 is actually an improvement over the 6.0

4. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    What about the 4X4 system, are there any kinks in it? I want a F150 with a small V8 or a V6. Your thoughts?

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've never had any problems with the 4 wheel drive on any of my fords. It all depends on what kind of system you want. IMO the most dependable system is manual locks. On my new truck I got on the fly shifting and occasionally the vaccum lock on the drivers side will not unlock unless I get out and twist the manual lock by hand. I do have 145K miles on the truck now so I can't complain. If your going to get out in deep mud go with manual locks or if you stay on the road and only light mud vaccum locks would be good too. I've had 4 f-350 so I'm really not sure of the 150 but a straight axle in the front will out last the CV system. So if you can get a mono on the front I'd go with that, lot easier and cheaper to raise it up also. Either way the 4 wheel drive has always worked in my fords with no maintenance. Last one sold at 220K miles

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I keep hearing rumors of small diesel engines for the f150 thats something that would be much appreciated

7. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    there 4x4s are probly one of the best you can buy the only thing is that in the f150s they know are independent front suspension like the chevys. if you plan on not running any tires bigger than 33 inchs tall you wont have any problems at all other then having to chang the ocasional cv shaft but fords ifs front ends arent as bad as the chevies. what I mean by that is that there not as hard on cv shafts and ball joints and you dont have to get them realigned once a month. Also the DANA corp. makes the axels and the frame on them trucks so you cant go wrong with that name

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My 2000 F250 Superduty 4X4 is great. It's a plain jane with rubber mats and manual lock out hubs. The transfer case is 2.7 to 1 so when you are in 4 wheel low, it will pull a house. The 5.4 Triton gas motor seems to have enough power. Mine has a granny gear manual 5 speed and I love it.

I agree those 7.3 diesels were the best. The 6 liter the have today is a waste of money. I get a Farm Show paper that has several pages dedicated to farmers best and worse buys. Every month there are horror stories of those 6 liter diesels. Turbo's going bad at less than 10K miles, a lot of time in the shop. Thats no good.

It reminds me of when I bought a new 1988 Chevy with that new body style. LOL The Manual 4 speed was out of that truck 5 times before it had 20 thousand miles on it. lol Some one I knew needed a truck and I sold it to them with 60,000 on it and bought me a 1991 Dodge with that cummins. Now that was a good truck.

A lot of times new designs have lots of problems. Anyway that's the way it is with General Motors. They have a bunch of computer genious's that never used a truck in their lives to work with. And then they try and cheat and save money with the new design. I think it will be a long time before I buy another Chevy or GMC truck.

Fords are tough, Dodges are allright except the make them in Mexico.

That 6.4 Ford is comming out with is because they have had so much trouble with that 6 liter diesel.

Buy one with a gas motor and save 8 thousand off the sticker. You will use a little more fuel, but how long is it going to take you to use 8000 dollars worth of more fuel. I know you can get 500,000 miles on a diesel. But you can easily get 300,000 on a gas job. Hey when I have a truck with over 200,000 on them they are about wore out. A lot of my miles are working the truck. The last 2 trucks of mine I got rid of at about 150,000 miles.

9. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The 6.0 was intended to be a low emission engine. The 7.3 couldn't meet the new standards and had to be replaced. The 6.0 has been a nightmare. The 6.4 is supposed to be far superior. Ford came and gave us some preliminary information on the 6.4, they said if it flops like the 6.0 Ford will go under. They lost the majority of their light duty truck market because the 6.0 was so bad.

10. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I will go with th small V8, I think it is a 4.6L. I wont be doing much off roading. I just want to have a more stable ride on the snow and ice of winter and the mud and such in the yard in the summer. I aint gonna use anything but the tires that come on it.

11. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I just finished my 6.4L training at Ford to retain my Diesel cert. The 6.4L is going to have its share of problems also. They are still trying to get the 6.0L right after 4 years. The 6.4L is much more complicated than the 6.0L. How are they going to make this one work when they still havent figured the 6.0L? The 6.4L has two turbos (one fixed and one variable vane) two EGR coolers, Two seperate cooling systems,(one for the engine and one for the fuel system) the exaust system has this after treatment system to purge exaust paticulate matter. The injectors run off of high press fuel now (20000 PSI) I see fuel leaks comming. This engine is so packed in there you got to lift the cab off the vehical frame with a lift to perform any engine repairs. Sorry guys im just venting I could go on and on. May be I should work on sail boats or something.

12. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I've got a 06' f350 6.0 liter and love it.05's,06's are the ones to buy if going to buy a 6.0.03' and 04' had programing problems. Got a friend who is a bully dog rep and ford diesel mechinac,I asked him before buying it and he said he would own one in a heartbeat.

13. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would have ta agree with him...i liked the 7.3s alot better

14. Roy J Lorenz

Roy J Lorenz New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats a wise decision,as I have seen many of the V-6's fail with very low mileage. good luck with your new truck.