05 F150 STX 4x4....4x4 help

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by tbull, Jan 9, 2010.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Having a problem with my 4 wheel drive, its not working and hasnt for about a year, I heard a loud pop while backing the boat in the driveway (foot of snow) and that was all she wrote. Its a manual shift on the floor, I still get the indicator lights in 4x4 high and low. Today we jacked up the front end, and you could tell it was engaging when we manually applied vaccum to the lines. But its almost like something is stripped or something? Hear alot of rattling underneath the truck and the front wheels arent engaging when i took it out in the yard. Any ideas on where to start, or what to check first? We tested the selonoid and it seemed to be fine. The rattling didnt seem to be coming from around the wheels, more like the middle of the undercarriage. I am assuming its something trashed inside the transfer case??

I know my way around a motor, but once ya get into transmissions and transfer cases etc, I am lost. Thanks in advance for any help..

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like it's not fully engaging. I'm not sure without looking at it what the problem could be but I'll post a couple t.s.b.'s that might be of interests. It sounds like the first one (06-8-15) would be more applicable. Good luck

T.S.B#06-8-15

05/01/06

INTERMITTENT IWE NOISE, 4WDH LIGHT AND/OR
    4X4 SYSTEM INOPERATIVE, DTCS - C1979 AND
    C1980

FORD:
    2004-2006 F-150

LINCOLN:
    2006 Mark LT

ISSUE
    Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Mark LT 4X4 vehicles built before 4/24/2006 may exhibit a noise in 2 wheel drive from
    the front Integrated Wheel Ends (IWE) and/or the 4X4 system being inoperative. The IWE solenoid may have ingested water
    and passed it to the IWE system causing water contamination in the vacuum portion of the system. A shorted IWE solenoid
    can set the codes C1979 and C1980. If either code is present, the 4WDH light will be inoperative.

ACTION
    Use the following Service Procedure to check and repair the 4X4 system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Replace the IWE solenoid. Torque the new design bracket and solenoid to 62 lb-in (7 N.m). It will be necessary
    to remove the vacuum lines from each IWE down at the wheels to check for water being present.

a. If no water is present at the vacuum line at the IWE, install the new solenoid with bracket. Reconnect all
    vacuum hoses.

b. If water is present allow it to drain from the vacuum lines. Then follow the updated procedure outlined in
    2006 Workshop Manual (WSM) on-line version, Section 308-07A, Pin Point Tests B21 and B22. These tests checks IWE
    leak rates with vacuum and will remove any residual water from the IWE. Reconnect all vacuum hoses.

2. If the IWE looses vacuum quicker than specification. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01B for normal diagnostic procedures.
    IWE solonoid #6l3z-9e441-a

T.S.B#06-9-08
    INOPERATIVE ESOF 4X4 SYSTEM WITH DTC P1867

FORD:
    2005-2006 F-150

LINCOLN:
    2006 Mark LT

ISSUE
    Some 2005-2006 F-150 and Mark LT vehicles built from 4/1/2005 through 4/6/2006 equipped with
    an electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) 4X4 system may experience a concern of the 4X4 system
    being inoperative with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1867 (Transfer Case Contact Plate General
    Circuit Failure).

ACTION
    Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check the ESOF 4X4 system for DTC P1867.

a. If DTC P1867 is present, proceed to Step 2.

b. If DTC P1867 is not present, this TSB does not apply, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section
    308-07A for normal diagnostics.

2. Make sure the ESOF 4X4 system is in 2H (2 wheel drive) position, then disconnect the transfer
    case shift motor connector (C350) and check resistance between Pins 1, 5, 9, 13, and signal return
    (Pin 10) on the shift motor assembly. Pins 5, 9, and 13 should show continuity to Pin 10 (less than 5 ohms), and Pin 1 to Pin 10 should show as an open (greater than 10,000 ohms).

a. If any of the resistance readings are incorrect, replace the current transfer case shift motor.
    Refer to WSM, Section 308-07A for transfer case shift motor replacement procedure.

b. If all of the resistance readings are correct, suspect a concern in the wiring between the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transfer case motor. Visually inspect for loose connections and broken or chafed wires. If no obvious concerns are found, start diagnosis at Pinpoint Test L16 in the online version of the 2006 model year WSM, Section 308-07A, to find the root cause.

Transfer case motor# 53lz-7g360-a

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the good info Mark!! Good luck Travis!!

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks Mark...Should I drain the transfer case and check for contaminats? IE metal shavings? When we jacked the truck up, and applied vaccum manually to the lines, it would engage. I could turn the wheel and see the drive axle turning, and just the opposite when we did not apply. I hate no knowing about this stuff, but hey its a learning oppourtunity right? lol

I dont think the lines are the problem but I dont know what i am talking about either. We got no leaks in the lines.

5. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i went over and helped tbull out on this the hubs locks are engaging and the 4wd light does come on , when i was checking for vacuum leaks i think there may have been some water in the system its hard to tell cause the truck was dripping water all over the place. is there also a solenoid down at the hubs?

6. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i had a 95 chevy that did the same thing. for a 95 chev. it was the acutator switch on the transfer case. it wasent locking in there was a pressure plate that the switch would hit to lock in the hubs. could be something along those lines. hope it helps.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It looks like there is a harness plugged into the transfer case, is that the actuator switch? I guess what i am wondering is am i gonna have to pull apart the transfer case to diagnose this problem? If I cant get it fixed my winter time fishing will be limited at best, and if its gonna be crazy expensive i guess i am just screwed...

8. racinrodes88

racinrodes88 New Member

State:
    Marion, SC
    If its coming from the middle of the undercarr and u just heard a pop and its makin a bunch of noice sounds to me like a bearing broke inside or a gear. My samuri did that the other week goin along and POP bearing came loose and busted the teeth on the gears, everything will lock in but its trashed on the inside. Pull the plug and check for metal in the bottom sounds to me it all leads into the trans case

9. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    u should be able to unplug that harness and that is the acutatour switch it should just unscrew outta the transfer case. im not real sure on a ford or newer truck but that is exactly what my 95 chev did and that was the prob. it was an easy fix. i think the switch was around 70 dollars something like that.

10. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    you need to do some checking before anything, you need to get it jacked up on a rack or on stands and run it at idle in 4 wd, if the front driveshaft is turning from the transfer case to the front axle, the transfer case is ok, the problem is in the front drive axle, that sounds like the most likely problem, they had some troubles with those units, if the noise is in the front axle pull the plug and check for metal in it, most likely problem is there, if it is, you need to find out the gear ratio and start hunting a used one, i know a new one is out of this world in price, whatever you end up needing let me know and ill see what i can find, i work in the field and can get a good discount on used or new parts and ill be in cincy some time here in the next month, hope this helps