05 50hp Nissan routine maintanance

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jsharper, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a 17' weldcraft with this motor. It is oil and fuel injected. Anything I need to watch for. Common problems? I have about 70 hours on it. Anything I need to do to prevent future problems? I love the boat and motor to this point. If I did it again, I would buy the same.

Jim

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to change the oil in the lower unit at least once a year. I do mine right at the end of fall so if there is any water in it I get it out before it can freeze. I change the impeller every two years and if you run in trashy water change the whole pump every two years.
    I put a new set of plugs in every other summer.
    Decarbon it every year I do mine twice a year.

Replace the little gasket type washers behind the fill and drain screws when you service the lower unit.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do all of what Bubba says, and maintenance on your gas is very important. Use a stabilizer all year long and a double dose if you put it up for a few weeks/months.

On yours, I believe, you can also drain the gas from the carbs through a small brass plug on the bowl of each carb. They may be like Yamaha's, where all you have to do is loosen them and the gas will drain.

If you've got a built in gas tank on your boat, I highly recommend a fuel/water seporator.

Don't forget to keep the wheel bearings greased and tires in good shape.

4. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you, I am printing out the things I need to do. I would like for this one to last me 15 years or so.

Thanks again
    Jim

5. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I have the 90hp and I run 91 octane as when i run 87 or 89 ; the motor runs like crap. Or if I am in an area where I cannot purchase 91, I add the octane booster and it is ok with that in it. This is what I have found first hand.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it runs better on high octane go ahead and use it. I would almost be if you would do a decarbon on it you will find out it will run on 87 octane.
    BTW do you chase muskies. I was going by your screen name.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Who knows what they put in Ca gasoline?

The theory of 2 strokes is that a certain amount of fuel will go unburned, keeping the cyl temp to a certain degree after operating temp occurs.

Using high octain causes a more complete burn, defeating that purpose, raising cyl temps higher than it should be, shortening the life of the engine.

8. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    I chase muskies once a year up at lake of the woods in ontario canada. All year long I look forward to it. Sad isn't it. I am moving soon though. Freakin calif sucks if you ask me. As for the gas out here, ya, they use to have MTBE in it and I guess they have been removing it from most or all stations. But ya, we have so many freaks and panzies in the legislature out here - it's insane dude. I am so ready to leave. First job offer that comes my way, that's all I'm waiting for now.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    They sure do have some creative thinkers in Ca.

Other than Phil, Cpt Frank, and a few others, I've never been impressed with much that comes from Ca.

Lake of the Woods sounds like a great vacation.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have found one other lake I would compare to LOTW in musky chasing and that would be cave run in the ky state.