04 World Record Blue Catfish Caught From Bank

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Mr. Foster, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was jus reading in a fishing magizine about targeting Blues. It was written by the fellow who caught the world record 121lb Blue on Texoma in 04. He lost his record next year to a 124lb Blue in Illinois. But the good news is that it was caught from the bank. It was on a point with 10' water on the right, 40' on the left, and 30' off the point. I jus thought this would give us bank fisherman more hope for the biggun. It didnt really go into his method jus a map of the point, and depth changes.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks for sharing! id go in after a 10 lb er no tellin what id do with a 100+ :big_smile:

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Record blues from the bank:

111lb, 112lb, 116lb, 121lb. Just one's that I know of. I think more blues over 100lbs have been caught off the bank than from boats.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    there is no reason that at any given time that any given bank fisherman couldnt break any catfish record. the biggest advantage to a boat is they can maneuver to chase down a big fish in order to capture it after the hook. along with the obvious advantage of mobility that allows them to cover more water. but if you get to a good hole and put your time in scouting and fishing, i see no HUGE advantage. i read a post that said about the same thing im going to say, people from the shore cast out to the middle, boats in the middle cast toward the shore. thats the big difference.

5. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    you guys with all your stories give me hope:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: I believe he is out there, just waiting for me :wink:

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Oh geez...makes you not wanna go in the water... unless you pole goes in first!!! :crazy:

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I feel just as confident breaking a PB on the bank as I do fishing off of a boat.
    Most of the "good spots" in boats I've noticed have plenty of bank access too.

A spot I bank fish quite a lot always produces fish in all 3 species of catfish. My PB Blue came from the bank, haven't broken it on a boat yet - came 3 pounds shy though.

Me and a buddy took his boat to that spot I bank fish, read the bottom with the finder, marked some fish and drifted it. We put 3 blues in the boat in no time, makes me really wonder if I would have gotten into those fish without using a drifting pass as our presentation. When I bank fish, it's usually flatheads that comes out of that spot. We got on the boat, it was all blues. The blue that came out of that spot was hit on live bait - my only live bait catch all year.

I'm starting to realize presentation is probably the most important in bank fishing, especially in bigger rivers where they're used to constant current pressure.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    This kind of falls into what I've believed while fishing in the past. Fishing the shallow water for the cats. Specially at night or during the winter time during the days when the sun is warming up the water quicker in the shallow water. they will come in along the banks to feed on the baitfish. the deep water doesn't always mean your going to catch bigger fish.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The current 124lb world record blue was caught here in the Alton area. It was of course caught from a boat. There is no doubt in my mind a 125lb blue can be caught from the bank here, as long as you have the equipment and of course a bit of luck to get it landed. One of these days........

10. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I firmly believe almost everywhere you fish there are big cats lurking. May not be a bunch of them and or a record breaker.

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    :sad2:I just wish we had blues in Iowa besides the mississippi & missouri:sad2: will somebody takin me blue fishin?:0a23:

12. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I lived 17 miles from the mississippi river for 14 years and never once crossed my mind to go fishing there. Now I live about 2 miles from the mississippi river and only cat fished for 2 1/2 months. I caught a 30,21,18,16 Blues. All from the bank. Wing Dikes. Not having a job and looking for something close to home to do. I found a new passion. I'm hooked on cat fishing.:wink:

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    id never go to work either if i lived on the mississippi:smile2:
    reps brotha