03 Sebring oil light

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by waynesburgjay, Nov 5, 2008.

1. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My wife's car (03 sebring) the oil light used to come on at idle once it warmed up. Just had the oil changed. Now the light comes off and on at all different times. It doesn't leak oil. Any suggestions on what it might be? It doesn't overheat either.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My first thought is the oil pressure switch. Simple enough to change and cheap. They can break down with heat so just ohming it out cold might not tell you for sure.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oops! After I posted I did a quick google search. It seems there is a well documented problem with these cars having sludge in the engine, even with low mileage. You could be in for some trouble here.

Are you having any noticable performance problems? Engine stalling or stuttering when you stop or start suddenly?

If so, might want to drop the oil pan and have a look around the oil pump pickup screen.

Sorry.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Found something else too. There is an iformation bulletin that I have copy/pasted from another forum that a mechanic posted. Worth checking into. (Spelling mistakes not mine):wink:

There is a bulliton on the condtion. Ive done it a thousand times. Its not under any type of warrenty its just an informational bulliton. You need to clean the connector and install a peice of wire to the empty side of the connector. Take about 15 minutes on a lift.Here is the bulliton.Part is availble only at the dealer.About $25.00
    NO: 08-36-99
    SUBJECT: Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker
    DATE: Oct. 15, 1999
    OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle.

DIAGNOSIS:
    Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
    Qty Part No. Description
    1 05017800AA Wire Terminal/Vent

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
    Raise vehicle on a suitable hoist.
    Remove engine oil pressure switch connector from switch.
    Remove sealing dart from the empty cavity at the rear of the connector.
    Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.
    Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.
    Attach the connector back on the oil pressure switch.
    Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the info SkipEye