'01 Nissan 50 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by gofish, Mar 3, 2006.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I was tinkering with my boat yesterday and noticed an oil spot beneath the foot of the motor. I haven't run the motor since October of last year. In the attached pictures, you can see where the oil is coming from and how much has leaked. Is this normal or should I be searching for a bad seal or something?

Attached Files:

2. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Have not used it since October, WOW LOL. Just kidding. Looks like something Bobpaul would know about. How have you been Joe? I have not been fishing much because I have been working all over the place from Alabama to Texas. We still are not back up and running in Intracostal City yet. Me and Tabitha are going to try and go fishing Sunday. Talk to you later.:)

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Looks like it is comming out of the front seal. You might ought to take the prop off and check and see if there is any fishing line behind it. Those seals aren't that hard to replace.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe, first you gotta find the guy what beat hell outta your prop and skeg, then kick his butt.

I can't really tell where the oil trail is coming from, but like Bubba said, do check for fishing line.

5. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'll check the seal behind the prop but I think the oil is coming from that hole in the side of the hub. What is that hole there for anyhow?

Bob, I AM that guy! :eek: Looks kinda rough huh? I got a new prop for Christmas but haven't put it on yet. The skeg.......wellllllll......I think I'm going to buy a skeg cover soon.

Thanks for the advice guys!

6. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Joe that leak is due to DRY ROT! October last year? You need to be fined by the BOC Board of Trustees for abusing a boat like that! Don't tell me you've been to busy with planting season either. I would think that were oil can escape, water can enter. Better get it fixed.

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I know that is sounds sacreligious to let my boat sit idle for that long but that's the way life has been at the Warehouse. I've had a couple of opportunities to go (like this morning) but I turned the alarm clock off and climbed back in the bed. The weather will be right soon and I'll be back in full force!

I looked at the prop more closely and the oil is definitely coming out of the hole in the side of the hub. I brightened that picture up a bit because it was hard to see in the original. The second picture shows how rough I really am on a prop.

Randall, how's the fishin been down south? I hope you got the chance to go today. Life has been busy here. I'm glad the days are getting longer and that warm/hot weather is on the way. That's my favorite time of the year. Say hello to the family for me.

Rob, I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is that I need to fix. I guess I'll have to tear it down and give it a once-over.

Attached Files:

8. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    You have got to tell those girls of yours that "pounding on daddy's prop with a hammer isn't cool" ;>

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Joe, I don't want to give you some wrong informatio, but I believe that little hole is just a drain hole from the area above the gear case.

If it's real dark oil, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm sure you changed your oil before letting it set up, RIGHT!

If it's a fairly clean oil, like what should be in your gear case, then suspect the upper seal in the water pump. It's about the same as the prop shaft seal, only easier to change.

10. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Joe, everyone is fine here. We did go today and ended up with 21 cats, no reds or crabs. Good luck with your motor.:)

11. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Looks to me like exhaust oil. I get it when I run it on the hose the oil in the mix that didnt burn will settle down and drip out the prop. Like Bobpaul said if the oil is black looking it is probably from your exhaust, I would check the level in your gearcase though just to be safe.

12. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Rob, I've hidden all of the hammers and cut both hands off of both of the girls. I have replaced the prop so if it looks that way after this season, I'll have to find someone else to blame. :p

The oil coming from that hole seems to be clear and clean. Where would I look and how would I go about checking for an 'upper water pump seal' leak? Remember how mechanically declined I am...:eek:

Thanks for the help and the "hey Joe's". I really appreciate it!

GooManDu, 21 cats today?!? That's great! You must have been using the wrong bait though. No reds? What a drag...:cool:

Ears, thanks for the advice. I will be keeping a close eye on it.

13. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Joe, 21 cats, no Reds or Goos, man what a day:p . I got a good tip on a place where they are tearing up the crabs and was planning on going during the week. But I found out this morning that I will be heading back to Galveston tomorrow to work for a few days, so the crabs will have to wait. And I know how much you hate crabs.lol:rolleyes:

14. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    What exactly is wrong with my prop. Look at the photo titled 'my prop'. I don't think it gets to look much better that that! ;)

The other photo is a comparison. Think it was time?

Attached Files:

15. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    than that.....maybe?:cool:

16. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I got the new prop installed and took her for a spin. After driving the boat, I realized that the prop is a different size than the original. I had to research what the original size was (11.1 X 13) according to Nissan. I didn't see it marked anywhere on the prop itself.

The new prop has the size stamped on the hub. 11.6 X 11. My question is, what difference will this make in the real world? Why is it that the motor comes standard with 11x13 and that replacement charts show 11x11 ?

The new prop was a gift for Christmas. It was selected from a chart in Cabela's for my engine (Nissan D50). Would it be worth it to buy another prop that is the same size as the original? I could either keep the 11x11 as a spare or sell it to recoup part of the cost of the new one.

When driving the boat after replacing the prop, I was able to tell a bit of difference in the amount of RPMs I could turn. I think the new prop will allow the motor to turn faster than the old prop. I don't normally run at WOT and rarely over 5000 RPM except for the hole shot. Will the lower pitched prop cause/facilitate damage to the engine if I don't replace it?

Thanks for any help or advice.

17. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    In your owners manual or service manual if you have one they should list max rpms for your motor probably 5500 to 6000 rpms. You want a prop that will spin you up to full rpms without going over when your boat is loaded like you use it normally. If your prop wont hit max rpm it is too big and it can be hard on your motor, if it is too small you will lose speed.

In the real world 50 horse on a john boat just make sure you can hit max rpms a little small will cost you very little in speed and holeshot as long as the prop is not way too small.