'01 Hyundai Elantra Problems

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catfishjohn, Apr 13, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    All these things going on,I'm not gonna have to worry about being gray haired...I'm gonna pull it all out! :confused2:
    I (we) have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra and it had been a good car til abt a week ago. Now the air bag and check engine light is on.
    About 2 weeks ago it started fast idling upon starting and then would go down.A couple days ag it started high-fast-high-fast idling.
    I took it to a local auto parts store and had them read the CE codes. It came back as a speed sensor and cylinder 2 misfire.
    Took it to another and it said the same thing.The guy at the 2nd one said yep,that'll do all that.
    Called a dealership this morning(full-large computer diag. for $20) and the tech said no way could it be the speed sensor bad.
    I'm gonna take it in the morning and put it on the computer and figure out what all is wrong.Here is the good/bad part.I bought an extended warranty($100 deduc.) and when I called them they said it didn't sound like anything they'd cover...GRRR!! We spent over $1000 on a 30 mth extended warranty.
    Anybody got any picks on what is wrong? I'll find out in the morning.I'll give REPs to whoever gets it right! LMAO!!! :wink:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No clues from anyone??? :lol:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Bump this back up one more time...:lol:

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Not a clue John. when you start having problems with sensors they can screw alot of things up. If the speed sensor is inexpensive I would try replacing it anyway and see what happens.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its about $60. The guy that I'm taking it to in the am to put it on the diag. machine said that didn't sound like the problem.I'll find out tomorrow,hope the warranty covers whatever it is!

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I hope everything works out good for you John. I would think your warranty would have to cover your repairs. If it doesn't, whats the use of buying the extended warranty.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree.Esp the deluxe warranty we bought.I'll find out from that company Mon. if they will. Thanks a lot!!!

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey John. i work in a dealership that sells hyundai. although i dont work on them, (i work the domestic side) your problem sounds like it may be a vacuum leak. intake gaskets are pretty common on those engines. dont let anyone discourage you about the warranty over the phone. if they dont have any idea what is wrong, they dont have any business speculating on the coverage.... what kind of warranty is it? where did you buy it? some powertrain warranties only cover hard parts. "crankshafts, conn. rods, etc, etc." the speed sensor, and the misfire code may be irrelevent. this is'nt the factory recommended procedure, but i can give you a quick heads up on how i look for vacuum leaks. first either drive it, or just let it idle till it's hot. take a can of brake cleaner, and in very small amounts. spray the intake gasket where it meets the head. do this in short bursts and let it evaporate before you shoot it again. keep doing this a little at a time till the area is covered. if there's a leak a noticable idle drop, or rise occur.

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    be careful if you do this. i always do it in a garage where i have a compressed air line, and an air wand to blow it out if it flashes. and fire extinguishers handy so if that doesn't work i got it covered.

10. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    John, take it to the hyundai dealer and tell them to fix it! Tell them to let you know if anything is not covered on Warranty. A lot of times they will bend over backwards to see that it is covered. Hey Mark, Isn't brake cleaner flamible... be careful John or you'll be checking your insurance out.:smile2:

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yes, it is. hence the above post. with the right precautions, it's still not totally fool proof. i've had them flash. but it just gets blown out quickly. as i said, not recommended for the driveway mechanic. just take it to the dealer. the most it could cost you is the hour diagnosis fee...

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm takin it Mon. to put on a diag. comp. for $20. Hopefully the warranty will cover it.The warranty is a deluxe warranty that covers anything big but not sure about sensors and such. If it costs me less than $100 I'll be real happy because thats what the warranty deductible is. I hope its cheaper though,don't really have the $ to put in it. :crazy:

Thanks for all the advice!

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot about this thread. The computer showed the Vehicle Speed Sensor was bad and it has a miss in cylinder #2.I think the miss is a vacuum leak-sounds like it. I couldn't find where the VSS(I think on top of the tranny) is located but I have to order the part first and then find someone that will put it on cheap enough for me! If its where I think it is,it'll be a 15-20 minute job.
    Thanks for all the ideas!

14. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    John that vehicle had a recall for an manifold leak, and crack check. My daughter's airbag light stays on MOST of the time. 4 X's to the dealer, can't figure it out. If she wrecks the thing and the AB's don't work,,, they may start calling it Wally' Hundai!!
    Other than that it's been a great little 30 mpg car.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    When we first got the car they replaced the manifold and gaskets I believe.I remember them saying something about the recall.
    The airbag light has been on in this one too for a while.I think we are gonna get rid of it in about 6-8 months.I just hope it lasts that long! :crazy:

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Just a little note on the airbag it is most likely the clockspring in the steering wheel going bad.This happens on many cars.I have replaced dozens of them when I worked in a dealership including a couple Hyundais

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Any idea where the vehicle speed sensor is on this car? I was told maybe on the top of the tranny. I can't find any schematics showing where it is. The guy that ran the diag. on the car said it was a cheap labor charge so I don't think it will be that bad.
    Also,how bad is it to replace that clock spring? I'm gonna have Regina call today and fax the estimate to the warranty company and see what they'll do. We have a $100 deductible so if its cheaper to do it myself...I'll try that.

18. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I ahd to put one in my Ranger a couple years ago and it wasn't too bad. had to pull the steering wheel off and it's right there. The one on mine (if I remmber right) had a clip in it and you couldn't pull that little clip out until you had the sterring wheel straight or it would not be any good. been a while for me on that one!

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Any idea ballpark range that piece would cost?
    Hope the warranty will fix that also! :crazy:

20. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    not sure on the cost, but I don't think it would be much. There ain't nothing to the thing. Good luck!