'01 GMC Jimmy problems

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by harper81, Jun 2, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I was towing my boat back from the lake the other night and noticed the brake lights were on and I was not pushing the brakes. Then went to use the right turn signal and it lit up on the dash, but did not flash. The left turn signal works, but it flashed really fast. When I got home with the key out of the car, when you press the brake pedal the dash and radio come on. So I held the brake while it was running and turned it off and the car stayed running until I released the brake. Then today I got a code for the torque converter clutch circuit. I read a couple places a bad ignition switch can give faulty transmission codes on the Jimmy/Blazer's and cause other weird problems. So do we think I have a bad ignition switch here or something else or multiple problems at once?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds like you have a serious bad switch or short somewhere, I feel your pain, electrical problems are the worst... Good Luck :confused2:

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check as many grounds as you can also. a lot of wierd electrical concerns can be caused by bad body or engine grounds. But I have replaced quite a few ignition switches in those models. You'll need a 2.5 mm torx socket to remove it. Really small screws.

4. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i think you are getting a back feed from a bad ground, probably from the right turn-brake light, ive seen several cause the problems described as far as the no flash and the truck running with the brakes held when turned off, those do have ignition switch problems also, usually you only get 1/2 the dash gauges that will work when that occurs and some will cause transmision codes, if it has high mileage may be the convertor is starting to slip also, my daughter has a 2000 blazer, i just replaced her trans for a p1860 convertor code, took it apart and had metal throgh everything was cheaper to put a used trans in it

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    We have a 97 jimmy that does weird things. Sometimes the key wont turn far enough for it to come out of the ignition and sometimes the battery will go dead overnight. We had a key stuck in it for 3 days and last night out of the blue it came out when we came home. I was told by a gmc dealer that there is a "module" in the stearing column that could be causing the problem. We just had it looked at and it wouldn't act up for the mechanic. He suggested that sticky pop has been spilled down in the gear shift area causing the mechanism to hang up and this will cause the key to not turn far enough to come out. And now the turn signals don't flash but the hazzards do. When it was in the shop we had the hood latch cable replaced and the mechanic might have bumped something since he said he had to take allot of stuff out of the way to get the new cable in. We put a ton of money in to this vehicle to make it last another couple of years. new tires $435 rebuilt tranny $950 misc repairs including the cable, servicing the ac $220 and I replaced all of the spark plugs wires cap rotor air filter fuel filter new battery(under warranty) for about another $100 but we just can't figure out why the damn key won't come out sometimes.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Your sure it isnt haunted ?

7. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro

check and make sure the trailer has not shorted out. and check fuses under dash and under hood. it is posiable to short out the body cumputer with shorted trailer lights.

8. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    as far as the shifter not letting the key come out. if you take the console out and look at the shifter there is a small cable that goes to the ing. switch. i you un hook it and zip tie it where the key will turn and leave it unhooked want cause any more problems

9. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    if it dont have a cable it will have a silanoid on the steerin colum that cabn be removed

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sounds like a possible multifunction switch failure (blinker/washer/signal switch) on the column.we see them fail pretty regularly here at work

as far as the key not coming out, id otn think that the switch would effect that...may have 2 seperate problems instead of 1.maybe lock cylinder needs replacing. just my 2 cents good luck

11. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I just found a used but working malfunction switch for cheap so I am giving that a try. The more I mess around with it the more it seems to lead to that. I press the brake pedal and it continues to run with the key off, but if you turn on the right blinker it shuts off. Stupid cars.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I think you're on the right track:wink:, I replace lots of multi function switches on these with hi mileage, also your vintage is prone to bad ignition switches (elect. part), as others have mentioned. You won't have to do any reprogramming if you don't replace the key & tumbler section.

Good luck, HTH...Elliot

13. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My wife called and said the turns signals had just went out. I just told her to go to autozone and have them check the blinker fluid. lol

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Maybe she has a bad muffler bearing. Is she blonde?:smile2:

15. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Multifunction switch fixed everything. Thanks for the help.