0 for 0

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by supra06, Aug 6, 2008.

1. supra06

supra06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not completely cause we got one at the dock but the boat skunked us. The few times we've tried a drop off or the channel we don't have as much luck. I'm guessin that you have to put the bait right in front of the fish w/ a ribbon attached to it. We were up by the state park on Lake Norman, both around the power lines and back in the coves using perch and bream. I hate to see some good bait go to waste. Does anybody have any pointers? Oh, we fished from 9pm to 1 pm on a hot night w/o much breeze.

I answered my own ? - Stay At The Dock!

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro

Bro., were you anchored down or were you drifting? Answer that and I might be able to offer you some suggestions.

3. supra06

supra06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    anchored most of the time, although we probably didn't need to...the water was flat-tat-tat.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    If you only want to fish North of the Hwy. 150 bridge, then your best bet is to go into coves or creeks and anchor down off of a point (night time fishing) and cast your baits to both sides of the point. Use chunk baits and heads, plus live bream, gold fish or white perch on slip floats or on the bottom. Or, find you some crappie brush and cast to the front and sides of the brush with live bait. You might already do this, but in case you don't, give it a try.

PS, I would not fish the main channel, it gets a workout during the summer from those putting out jugs (24-7) and that is a lot of pressure on the fisheries up there.

5. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mac is dead on about the main channel. We live in a cove north of the state park. Much of the times when I go out in the morning there are jugs all over the place. They look like land mines:wink:. The flats next to the islands are very heavily fished. I am guessing the area you where fishing was that old pond drop off by the lsland that holds the power line tower. Try the same area for perch. When I troll over that area the drop is about 60 feet and full of structure. I have never had any luck in that area for cats but it is a productive perch hole.

I fished in that area a great deal. The main channel is a challenge. I had a great morning about two weeks ago just north of the Buffelo Shoals bridge. Try drifting the channel drop due east of Bill's Marina. Another good area is the flats bewteen the channel markers just after you go into Rocky creek. Or...what until about October and give the channel another try.

Keep trying it has taken me all summer to figure out the area and I am still in search of a true honey hole.