0-20 pound blue catfish rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ganndolf, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ganndolf

ganndolf New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hi i have a abu spinning reel and trilene mono 20lb and i was wondering what would be a good rod to replace the piece of crap fiberglass one that came with the reel i will be catching blues that range from 0-20 pounds idk i might get on a 40 lb blue:crazy: but i doubt it

2. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Sounds like you have a nice reel.......when you have time you might want to check out the Team Catfish 3/4 TON spinning rod. It would be a great option for your reel. Here is a link to a video that explains all our rod models...........

http://www.teamcatfish.com/store/pr...d=327&osCsid=318c2a7ea4f278314f8c004a796a3d43

Hope this info helps.........

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You could get a good Berkley Big Game rod (white) at Walmart. It's a really good rod for the price and if you happen to hook into that 40lber it will bring his butt in:wink: I caught the biggest flathead of my life on one and I've caught several over 30 on it. I'd get the heavier rod, not quite as flimsy and works a little better in current. If you're fishing a lake the lighter action will work as well.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ugly stik catfish rods are a pretty good rod that will handle 40+. just depends on how mutch you want to spend and how picky you are about your rod. usually you get what you pay for as you found out. for what you want id spend at least $20 in less you catch a sale on a $20+ rod. cabelas has a few choices in this price range. there are some good production rods in the 35-55 range if your spending more than that get one from a sponser on here and get some high end cat specific gear at cat guy prices not ba$$ hole prices i cant see spending $200 to fish with a carrot:smile2::tounge_out::roll_eyes:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    All Ugly Stick cat rods cost $29 and I couldn't think of a better rod for that weight range . I'm sure there are lots of rods available out there these days but the catfish rod surly is a well proven rod .

I still have one ( a M/H action ) and I love it...you will prolly see a lot of folks giving great reviews also .

If you can support our sponsors then check out there rods,,,they are really nice .

G'luck in picking
    -Jim-

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ugly Stiks are great for the money. You may also look at the diawa beefsticks,or the american pirit nightsticks. I checked out the nightsticks this past weekend at gander mt. Gonna pick one up pretty soon.

7. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    for up to 20lbs. shakespeare sturdy stik rods or ugly sticks will do just fine.

personally i like daiwa beefsticks JB rods will handle 40lbs.+ and cast 8-12 oz. weights with ease.

vaughn

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I recently went fishing with a friend and they had several of Bill Dances catfish rods found in the bass pro catalog. I have some very expensive graphite rods on my boat and really like them. I was very impressed with the combo packages that he had. They were light and the action was pretty good. I actually watched him reel in a 42 lbs. flathead on one. I think they were M/H action about 7-71/2 feet. They aren't that expensive either.JMO!

9. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the ugly stick rods too. They seem to be built like a tank. I've broken lots of rods over the years through carelessness, but have yet to break an ugly stick.

10. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you only need an 1-2 oz lead I would suggest the 19.99 berkley big game
    also. Of course the 30.00 ugly cat will handle a little more lead wieght but not much. We have caught blues up to 30lbs several over 20 with berkley biggame. I use an old penn 712z with 30lb pp and a 25lb topshot leader, it does not take much lead to hold that thin pp down. The seem to be a good match for 15-20lb line and cheap also.:big_smile:

11. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    For the money I like the Ugly Stik catfish rods. I have several that I use for my clients and have had no problems at all with them. I use 3 oz weights and big chunks of skipjack and they are great. If you want something heavier and tougher you might look at the custom and semi custom rods offered by our sponsors.