“Hog Melt“??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 19FarmBoy78, May 22, 2006.

1. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ok... Has anyone ever heard of “Hog Melt“??
    I’m a butcher and my uncle asked me to get him some hog melt for him to use for channel catfishing. So I asked my boss and he said it is the spleen form a hog. So I got him a few, but he said that wasn't the right thing (my boss has been a butcher for 40+ years I think he would know) My Uncle said he used it when he was younger for bullheads, and it was a bloody, stringy bubbly type substance. He also said he talked to someone else that said it was something that came from a hogs neck when it was butchered. Well I asked my boss again and he said that wasn't right, and the only thing like that that would come from a hogs neck was only if the hog wasn’t cleaned right. So I’m not sure if it is spleen that has been aged, like livers, or if it is just a blood clot that wasn't removed? I found a description on another thread that was like what my uncle described to me, but they didn't say what it was, just called it “hog melt”
    So If anyone knows what it is, I would really like to know.
    19FarmBoy78
    Nathan

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can remember as a kid, going to the butcher shop and getting hog melt to use for channel cats, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what part of the hog it came from. We would also use "beef melt". Seems like a hundred years ago.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    My father has always told me how well beef "melts" would catch cats. He said that it was the pancreas or thyroid or something like that. He said that they were very popular to purchase from a slaughter house back in the seventees. It may have even been the spleen. All that I know about them is he said that they were tough, really bloody and cats loved them. Vern

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Nathan nice to know there is some young men still learning the trade. I am also journeyman meatcutter like your boss Iv'e been in the trade for over 40 years and yes your boss is right hog melt is the spleen from a hog, always was still is.The hog spleen has a thick layer of skin on it and if you peel that skin off it is dark and blody and stringie looking.hope this helps. Keep those hands and fingers out of ths saw OK. Bigcatman0816

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so what does this stuff have the consistency of? hopefully not chicken livers!

6. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the input guys...
    Bigcatman0816... Thanks, I wondered if you needed to skin it... Didn’t try it myself, I’m more into Flathead fishing. So I guess I’ll get a few more spleens and skin them up and we’ll see how it goes.... I will most defiantly keep my fingers outta the saw. I brushed the back of a finger across the saw last winter and that is as close as I want to ever get! I gotta say, I got into this job just for a pay check... but now I can't imagine doing anything else, I love my job.

dinkbuster1... If it turns out like my uncle says it will, and Bigcatman0816, it will be like a stringy, blood clot, and very strong to stay on the hook. If I get it to work out I’ll try to post some pics and hopefully let you know how it works for cats!

19FarmBoy78
    Nathan

7. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thirty some years ago, we had an old guy in the neighborhood who was a part-time butcher and full-time catfisherman. He always swore by beef spleen as the best bait, at least until the leopard frogs appeared. He could catch fish, too. Every time I seen him, he had at least a couple nice ones on his stringer.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Yes Ive heard of hog melt my dad has butchered id say 500 hogs before he past away its a lean piece of meat kinda look like a tongue. Hope that helps.

9. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Hog malt is like the rest said it was. i use to use it all the time but have trouble getting it now i use to cut it up into 1 inch chunks and cast it out.

This is not only a good bait for channels flathead love the bait as well just cuy it into biger chunks. the meat is strong and if wanted you can add flavor to it by soaking it in something like garlic juice.