Semi v or Flat bottom?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

I have a chance to buy either an aluminum 16 foot flat bottom boat or a 16 foot aluminum semi v. Which one would be the better boat for the Missouri river?
    Thanks for any help you might have.

2. GUP

GUP New Member

depends on what you want from your boat. I have a flat bottom. The flat bottom will give you a little more room, and works better if you ever nose up on shore to fish a lake, it doesn't lean. The flat bottom rides rougher in choppy conditons, and can tend to want to catch wind under the front and nose up when going fast. The semi V will certainly ride smoother in choppy water, probably handles better too at speed. JMO

3. THe semi V (modified v) would Be much preferred in My book. for the missouri river You seldom have to deal with a lot of shallow water and won't draft that much deeper anyway. You will have to deal with large swells at time and barge wakes the mod V will handle them much better then a flat bottom.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

What is the degree of the semi v? I have a SeaArk with what they call a modified V which is 3 degrees. On smooth water it is fine, in chop, it gets a bit rough! :eek:oooh::smile2:

5. took the words right outa my mouth

6. spanky

spanky New Member

What it all depends on is are u looking for the room or the ride? I personaly have a sea ark with a 15 degree v all the way to the back of my boat and it rides across ruff water like a dream unlike a flat bottom it will make u sore and end up getting u wet in ruff water.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

I have a flat bottom jon boat a really like it. But if I was looking for another boat I would look for a simi-v just because of the ride in ruff water. Everybody to their own opinion. If I was you I would do all the research I could before I made my decision. Good Luck.

Tom

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

Dale

My boat is a vee and I like it in rough water. I gave up some ability for shallow running for that, though. Other minuses are that a vee has to go a little faster to get up on plane, and tends to rock a little more with waves from the side, especially when anchored. It will also lean a little more than a flat bottom when you get more weight on one side, such as when you are landing a fish or just moving around the boat.

A vee will often have higher sides and be a little wider than a flat bottom of the same length.... that's not an absolute, but would be worth comparing. My 16.5 foot vee bottom gives me way more floor space than a similar length jon boat, and was the main reason for my choice.

9. I have both and I wouldn't think of going out in the mo in my jon boat. ships water over the stern pretty easily. doesnt handle the wind very well either. with the semi v you can feel more comfortable on lakes as well. These ks lakes get so windy they can capsize a jon boat in a hurry. anchor off the bow facing into the wind or current and you won't have any problems with a semi v.

10. Me personal I'd take a paddle boat out on the Missouri just to fish if I could. We maybe not the missouri, but definately the Kaw or Grand: