Model 14 K-38

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Andy52, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

I bought this one today it was listed by Cabela's on guns international and I just had to have it. I have several S&Ws but not this model people say it's the king of .38 target revolvers I'll find out soon enough.

Attached Files:

2. Beautiful piece. Can't hardly beat S&W for revolvers. Ruger's a close second though.

3. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

Rugers are built like tanks and are great service revolvers there're just not as pretty as the S&Ws. The one in the picture was made in 1967.

4. Rugers are built like tanks. Back in the old days, I had a 4" stainless Service Six I used as a trail gun. It's the triggers on the S&W's are what make them stand out in my mind. Bet that 14 is smoother than butter. Congrats.

5. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

The 14 pictured has target trigger and hammer they all didn't come that way. I probably won't get the revolver until late this week. It was in Cabela's gun library in Wheeling WV and they are shipping it to the Cabela's here in Missouri. I'm sitting in my shop right now loading up some 148 grain HBWCs so I can give it try next weekend.

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

A total piece of junk! And I'd feel terrible if I didn't mention it to ya and the thing blew apart....Tell ya what, send it to me and I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly......Congrats on a Sweet find!!!!!

7. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

Now Howard I just couldn't burden you with that responsibility..........LOL.

8. OkSixpack

OkSixpack Active Member

If you can't do it to him, you could always do it to me:biggrin1:! Looks like a nice revolver, enjoy it....

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

Took a little longer than I'd hoped to finally get the revolver but I pick it up today. For a gun made in 1967 it is in outstanding shape. I have to say in all my years of owning revolvers I have never had one with a trigger as nice as this one, the double action is butter smooth and the single action is scary light. Once I get some range time in with it I'll post up some pictures.

10. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

Took the model 14 to the range today, from the bench at 20 yards it was printing all rounds touching basically one large ragged hole. I was using 148 grain HBWC on top of 3.6 grains of AA#5. Needless to say I'm pleased. That trigger takes some getting use to however because it's extremely light.

11. OkSixpack

OkSixpack Active Member

Sounds like a keeper, now you just have to shoot it enough to get used to it...it will be a job but somebody has to do it.

12. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

It's a terrible burden but I think I'm up to it....LOL. While I was on my range yesterday I let a friend of mine try the 14 out he was firing single action, second round caught he totally off guard. He turned around and said " holy crap" I know you said it had a light trigger but I wasn't expecting that.