Homemade rod holder?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fatmudcat, Jan 20, 2012.

1. fatmudcat

fatmudcat New Member

I was planning on making a portable rod holder with wood & maybe some pvc, it needs to be heavy enough so it wont go flying into the river yet light enough that I wont get a hernia carrying it. Has anyone made something like this? or have any suggestions?

thanks in advance

2. Fishfeen

Fishfeen Well-Known Member

Hey man, I made a few and I know others on here have too. I used 3" PVC in 2/12 foot pieces and a 3 to 4 feet piece of rebar, attached the PVC to the rebar with hose clamps and it works great for me. - Fishfeen

3. rocket256

rocket256 New Member

2x
    IMG_1258.jpg IMG_1259.jpg IMG_1260.jpg IMG_1261.jpg IMG_1262.jpg

Kastaway and denmoore like this.
  4. Fishfeen

Fishfeen Well-Known Member

Looks just like what I was talking about. I just don't have pictures of them. Thanks Man. - Fishfeen

5. rakoprtr

rakoprtr New Member

Ar
    Check on tinboats.net and crappie.com there's alot of guy on there that have made there own for Trollin and what not

6. denmoore

denmoore New Member

7. rocket256

rocket256 New Member

They were really inexpensive to make. Only cost about $20 total.
    $1.20 ea. Rebar
    $6.00 PVC 5ft
    $6.00 Clamps pk 2x
    Got it all at Lowe's
    IMG_1263.jpg
    Then I painted them all black cause I had the paint laying around.

Daddy Wolf likes this.
  8. Daddy Wolf

Daddy Wolf New Member

I use the same method with pvc pipe, hose clamps and rebar also.

On some of my rod holders I use galvanized pipe but pvc is cheaper.

Attached Files:

9. Those work pretty good, and easy to make. Can also make that part outa 2" PVC or ABS pipe, and then take a 1 1/2'' 45 deg angle with a pipe glued in and stick that in the 2'' pipe and the rod will be at an angle instead of straight up and down.

10. J_Carter

J_Carter Well-Known Member

Add a PVC Wye to the top with another short piece of pipe out of the 45° side and you can have your rods vertical, on a 45° angle or both!!
    Look behind me in this picture...this is what I did on my toon...

101_1591.jpg

11. fatmudcat

fatmudcat New Member

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, great ideas

12. I will get some of mine posted. If you look in my albumns they are on my boats. I made them to were I can use them on a boat or a stake. There are some members who have purchased them from me and really like them. They are not limited to any size of rod handle....

13. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

Mine are similar but, I used angle instead of rebar. I also used carriage bolts instead of clamps so I could grind them off smooth and not have to worry about the clamp getting snagged on anything. DIY Bank Fishing Rod Holders