Castnet question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Castnet question

I found a place where there are big shad. I never used a castnet before and I'm thinking on giving it a try. My question is do I have to let the net sink all the way to the bottom or can I pull it up mid fall and still catch bait? Thanks and good fishing!!!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by amitchell View Post
    I found a place where there are big shad. I never used a castnet before and I'm thinking on giving it a try. My question is do I have to let the net sink all the way to the bottom or can I pull it up mid fall and still catch bait? Thanks and good fishing!!!
    You can catch bait mid fall. Shad, from what I have noticed with the smaller ones, have a tendency of balling up when the net hits, which allows the net to surround them. You will feel them in the net, even a bunch of small ones, if you keep the line taunt as it drops.

If you are not experienced with casting a new, I would say get a 4 foot to start. It is always a good idea to have a smaller one for tighter spots anyways. Once you get more experience, you can go bigger with a 6 or 8 foot net.

Once you catch the bait, follow these simple instructions to make sure you bait is good after its frozen for later use. Freezing/Preserving baitfish for catfishing | Discover Catfishing

Depends if bait is at top middle or bottom. fish will scramble when the net hits the water which means down and away from ur net. U should still be able to catch em but be a little quicker with retrieving and closing the hole. Best bet is to let it sink. My 2cents.

Richard
    Blog Entries

The shallower the water the deeper ya need to let the net fall, in my experience, and I would reccomend no smaller than a 5 ft net , it is easier to learn on a smaller one yes, but might as well learn with the one ya need . Think about it this way, which is more likely to gather bait, an 8 ft circle , or a 10 ft circle ?

Bruce
    Blog Entries

I myself, like to let it sink all the way to the bottom. There has been a time or two where my throw was not great and pulled the net back in after a short sink and still caught bait. Give it a whirle and see what you like. Short sink or to the bottom. Good luck to ya.

johnnie
    Blog Entries

pick the size you think you can handle as for when to close the net it depends on the bottom structure.a smooth bottom it dont matter but if you got logs or rocks on the bottom you gonna lose your net or at least tear it up.use a little common sense and you be ok just remember the best net man here gonna lose or tear up a net sooner or later.
    ok already im honk honk honking.

Thank you for all the replies. The reason I ask about mid fall is because I'll be trying it out in Lake Michigan at a warm water discharge. I remember fishing there and there were a lot of big carp. Just don't want to get a big surprise when i bring in the net. But I'll try it anyways. Again thank you. Man, this has to be the best website ever. Thank you all, and good fishing.

This is the best website ever. If you do tear it up just sew it up with some heavy mono. A good net will last a long time with a little maintenance and tlc...

steven

Don't worry about the fish. I would worry about debris. I have a 5ft net and I have brought in 30lb rocks with it. Lol. If you know the depth of the bait. Then just let it sink to where they are and pool. I haven't been very deep with mine. I can usually catch enough for a trip next to a dock or boat ramp.

I have spots that I know shad are going to be. took lots of time and effort to find them but it pays off now because I spend less time catching bait and more time fishing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast