Quantcast
Fishing with gold fish for flathead catfish

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eric East
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with gold fish for flathead catfish

I tried goldfish the other night for the 1st time, and the doggone things cost me $1.00 each. :ooooh:
    I didn't have any luck (only fished a couple hours) but noticed that the gold fish weren't real active. I hooked them about mid body below the spine but above the organs with an 8/0 hook. I was using a 3 way swivel with a 5 0z sinker with about 1 ft of line on one leg & about a 3 ft. line on the side with the bait.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Jay Frye
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats ILLEGAL here brother. I often wondered if they worked though.

John C. Cremeans
    Post Thanks / Like

I've hooked some cats rigged the same way you did but they're only $5.00 a dozen here in southern Ohio at one of our local bait shops.

Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

goldfish are a really good, hardy bait that we use here in north carolina when you don't have access to brim or shad. here they are $12-$15 a pound. depends on the size, but equates to about a dollar a piece. i am lucky cause i can get them from new jersey. i pay $20 for 4 dozen. one of the rigs i use is a carolina rig. depends on the size of the goldfish which size weight to use but i found about 2oz is good. slide the weight on the main line then a bead to protect the knot. then tie on a barrel swivel, then your leader. i like to use 25-30lbs flourocarbon. now you can use a float before the hook or not. the float will keep the fish above the bottom if it gets lazy. i use a 5/O to 7/O circle hook. again your choice. i hook the goldfish a little behind the dorsal fin so it wants to swim towards the surface. the goldfish usually stays active all night for me. good luck

ed

Kurt Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in southeastern ohio and the cats really seem to love them in the spring, and early summer. I generally take a variety of baits being i fish with a partner we have 4 poles in the water and four different baits usaually goldfish, bluegill, bullheads, and creek chubs (suckers).

Some holes they may eat a goldfish, others maybe some thing else. We cut the top fin of the goldfish sometimes to, the swim more akward in the water and i think it helps trigger strikes.

Curtis
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried goldfish often, but a few of our local baitshops sell them. One of the things I like about them is that they are a very hardy baitfish and will swim around for a good long time. That makes them really good for lines that will be sitting still for a while, such as trotlines, limblines, jugs, or really patient rod and reel.

Last time I used one it lived for 5 hours on the hook. Might have lasted longer, but I caught a 5# channel with it.

Dameon Hawkins
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if it is legal here to use them or not. I do know that they are too expensive here to use for that purpose. I just stick with blue gill.

Red Kellogg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you done alright with your rig, but I would've hooked them in the lower side of the tail just behind the dorsal fin. That's how I hook all my live bait for cats.

-Red

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Not real lively, huh? Next time put one aspirin per every two goldfish in with 'em. Ya better have the lid on tight, cuz they'll jump right out of the bait bucket. Aspirin + baitfish = baitfish on speed!!!!

Ole timers trick.

Wiliam (Hop ) Hopkins
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad Saver

This stuf works like fish crack on gills and I expect it will work on goldfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast