Need turkey shoot advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need turkey shoot advice.

I would like to try a turkey shoot. I just got a browning 12 ga. silver hunter and would like advice on how to practice.

How far away should target be and what height?

what shot size?

What choke is best?

and anything else I should know.

Thanks Guys

Danny

Chris Love

Post Thanks / Like

Take a AA MAG lite and drop it down the barrel and tape it. Adjust the beam where the light is focused at its tightest postion, then turn you light on, Make a mark on the wall and practice your mounting your shot gun in your shoulder. The light will show you exactly where you will be when you mount. I will post more about this. This will also work for 20 guage too, you will have to use the AAA battery MAG lite.

Chris

Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris, I have been shooting shotguns for over 40 years I just have never seen a turkey shoot.

Danny

Chris Love

Post Thanks / Like

Turkey shots are a blast, you'll meet lots of nice people and lots of shooting advice. Most people use an OPEN choke, since you dont need a real tight pattern.

chris

Bob Gilvary

Post Thanks / Like

You'll find some folks take their turkey shoots real seriously. They'll have worked over barrels that'll put most of the shot on the target at 25 yds.

Rex Reynolds
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a sixteen gauge single shot that won ever turkey shoot it went to. to answer your question most turkey shoots provide all ammunition. this puts the gun to the test. most turkey shoots ive been to has a circle the size of a dime in the middle of a 5in x 7 in papper . the distance you shoot is 40 yds. you pay your buck . get your shell when its your turn to shoot and who ever has the most hits inside the circle wins the round and a turkey.if you want to get good sset up targets at 40 yds and pattern your gun with the loads most used in your area turkey shoots.your gun will have a certain area in your pattern wwhere your shot density is consistantly higher. shoot enough paper to learn where that area is and when you go to a turkey shoot thats the spot you want to hit the little circle with.by the way becareful of the side bets going on there are a lot of sand baggers at shooting contests. they will set you up aand go home with your shotgun if you dont know the game.its easy to mis when you want to. hope this helps.

Chris Love

Post Thanks / Like

The turkey shoot that i posted about is when we were shooting clay pigeons and whom ever one usually got a turkey. LOL

Chris

Adam
    Post Thanks / Like

well that just aint a "turkey" shoot. Thats trap shooting with meat as a prize.

Most turkey shoots iver been to have a cicle the size of a pop can and they set the target at 30-40 yards and about 4 foot high. Whoever has the most shot in the target wins. For these you want a tight pattern.

I also go to one that has an "x" and the closest to the center wins. For these it is basically luck. Any ga. gun with any shot pattern can win. You can have a stray shot hit dead on the "x" and win.

I'd recommend shooting a paper plate with a pop can sized circle with an "x" on it at 35 yrds. And about 4 foot high. I would also recommend using full choke (some will not allow you to use chokes tighter than full). For shells I would practice with Winchester AA in a 7.5 shot. Thats what I normally see when I go to them.

With a little luck and some practice, you could have a freezer full of meat and a little extra spendin' money.

Bryan
    Post Thanks / Like

i use a old stevens 12 guag single shot 31" full choke barrel it barely meets reg. and those shoots are all about how tight a group you can shoot. i also practice with paper plates at 30 yards and i use very cheap shells cause the ones they give you there are all reloads well at least thats what they use around here.,
    Last edited by ohiohawghunter45067; 06-30-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Adam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohiohawghunter45067
    i use a old stevens 12 guag single shot 31" full choke barrel it barely meets reg. and those shoots are all about how tight a group you can shoot. i also practice with paper plates at 30 yards and i use very cheap shells cause the ones they give you there are all reloads well at least thats what they use around here.,
    Thats what we got. And old stevens with a ribbed barrel 31". And she is tight. Some of the shoots Ive been to use reloads. But the one I go to the most uses brand new AA's then they reload them for trap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast