Catfish making wierd noises?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Solid Answer Solid Answer:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Clayton Zak

Default Catfish making wierd noises?

i cant help but notice on some catfish when i get them on the boat or bank that they make a little low burping noise. i remember when i caught my first cat and it did that it freaked me out, but i havent really thought about it much. seems the big cats dont do it at all or as often. whats goin on? am i hurting them?

Josh

No you are not hurting them. Some catfish "bark" so they call it, and some dont. Almost all the cats I have caught do this.

For whatever reason I hate that sound...like nails on a chalkboard to me.

All catfish can make that sound. A catfish produces these "stridulatory sounds" by rubbing the base of the petcoral spine against the pectoral girdle...kinda' like grinding the ball & socket joint of your shoulder. The sound is typically made as the catfish locks its spines as a defense mechanism. There is some research that shows the sound changes with fish size and some catfish even have a preference for using the right or left fin! As I've said before, those cats are cool fish!! :cool:

quack quack quack!:D

Clayton Zak

interesting. reminds me of how a crickett rubs its back legs together to create the chirping sound. i wonder if they do that in the water as a way of communicating. i think carp do it too

Rocky Moore

My daughter always gets a kick out of when I get the catfish to "talk to her"...........sometimes I ask her what they say and she tells me they say to throw them back in:p

Fish Geek your vocab is amazing.We just call it croaking. Thanks for the bio lesson.

Doyle Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by rockbass
    My daughter always gets a kick out of when I get the catfish to "talk to her"...........sometimes I ask her what they say and she tells me they say to throw them back in:p
    I bet she's right.

Charles Jackson III

I have heard catfish that I caught, making noise.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast