Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread: Sick Kitty Cat
12-28-2008, 01:53 PM #1
Sick Kitty Cat
Our neighbors have a cat that has been sick for 2 days...they described her as unable to get around well, and "foaming at the mouth". John said that the "foam" was more mucus like in content, and their suspicions are that she has somehow been poisoned. I am uncertain of the age of the cat. Can you help?
REMOVE THESE ADS
BECOME A LEVEL 2
12-28-2008, 02:41 PM #2
Off the top of the...........
Off the top of my noggin it sounds like an ingestion situation. Cats drool or excessively salivate from several causes.
Lesions in the mouth from foreign bodies, bee stings of the oral cavity, broken or infected teeth, acidic or alkaline liquids, eating skinks or frogs etc.
They can salivate excessively from drug exposure, such as flea sprays or alcohol based products. Ingestion of some cleaning compounds from licking surfaces or food bowls or their skin after being contaminated.
If the cat was acting "funny" for a couple of days then started salivating it could be a viral infection that has progressed. If no fever or vomiting that is probably not the case.
In my experience inhalant chemicals or topical chemicals they have breathed or licked is the primary cause. If they have set off flea bombs or aerosols of any kind, or had the house or rugs cleaned, if they have applied liquid flea products, powders, like deodorants or talcum or baby powder, or dusts like for bird parasites, bathing the cat in somethings that are irritative can be the causes.
Sometimes certain ingested foods that are causing a bowel disturbance can make them drool.
Yes, to use the term loosely the cat has been "poisoned" Just what and how may be difficult to find out.
An examination of the mouth is the first place to start. An atropine injection is sometimes helpful but unless the causative agent is discovered and corrected it will only last a short time.
12-28-2008, 05:03 PM #3
Thanks so much PB I'll pass that on right now!
12-28-2008, 05:14 PM #4
Doc, is this injection available to the general public? Also if i can get it do i give under the skin or in the muscle? She doesn't really seem lethargic, because i seen it run a squirrel up a tree. On the other hand she is definitely sick. Her eyes are starting to matter up also. My buddie that own's it is a mechanic and she lives in his shop, but theres really nothing different there since he got her. He give her some milk and she drink part of that. Said he wasn't takin her to a vet, so i guess she'll either get over it or not. Worst case senerio is that he ask me to put her down. I'll go relay your message and thank you very much for the help.
12-28-2008, 05:50 PM #5
Sounds like doc knows what he is talking about but has rabies been considered with the foaming at the mouth?
12-28-2008, 05:57 PM #6
Prob. can't get it..........
John, prob. can't get that anywhere without a script. It is a natural alkaloid of poisonous nightshade. Used to decrease in this case secretions of the salivary glands to dry up the cat.
Might try a little Benedryl if they can get it down. 10 mg should be enough.
Cats in shops I have seen get into battery acid or battery dust from cables. Sometimes they like the taste. Also antifreeze can cause this problem. They like the sweet taste. Often a way folks use to kill coons and stray cats.
01-03-2009, 07:17 PM #7If the cat was acting "funny" for a couple of days then started salivating it could be a viral infection that has progressed. If no fever or vomiting that is probably not the case.
We were told that we might should keep MR Kitty indoors for a while, the vet also told them that it was fatal, once they contracted it they couldn't do anything for them :(
What do you suggest on Mr Kitty, PB???? should we just keep him in the house...the people live about a half block from us.
01-03-2009, 08:41 PM #8
I would sure keep my cat inside a while and would bleach anything around outside that the other cat could have came in contact with.
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM #9
Kinda like bird flu.
Cher, like all the parameters they list for us when there is something in the air the same applies here.
Don't socialize with groups.
Don't let your cat go to any cat bridge games.
Wear a mask when in the outdoors. LOL
The safest place for any critter is inside and comfy by the fireplace with or without an aerosol bug in the area.
01-04-2009, 12:38 PM #10
John, i appreciate your help and input on this matter. Fortunately i wasn't home and ask to put Miss Kitty down. Everyone around here knows i'll do what has to be done and always ask me to do the dirty deeds.:confused2: Mista is still eating like a horse and we'll just keep him inside for a while. Again thanks.