Regulations for catfish in North Carolina

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    John
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Regulations for catfish in North Carolina

I'm not trying to "stir the pot" just wandering if anybody had any thoughts on making cats (of all species) a sportfish and have size and creel limits set, as well as methods of harvesting.

We fished lock and dam #2 this past weekend. From what we could tell somebody had caught (about 15lbs.) a blue cat. It appears they tryed to fillet it. Everything they cut off the fish (fillets) was lying in the water. From what we could tell the fish was destryoed for no reason. :mad: This is not the first time I have seen these fish destroyed for no reason.

STRICKLY MY OPINION: The fish was destoryed for no reason and I would like to see the catfish protected.

Jack
    Post Thanks / Like

with the population in the united states growing at an alarming rate, and the number of people after catfish is also growing we do need size and creel limits to protect these fish, in most areas..Note, I said most not all.

Michael Fuqua
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/regulations/new.asp
    Check this out, it's for VA but spose to be coming here also...sounds awesome, although i think that a lb. limit would be better b/c i've caught some light blues that where long, But it's an awesome start....
    Mike
    (cpr)

michael

Post Thanks / Like

bigblaze it might be time to stir the pot. ive already seen guys taking 500-1000lbs of catfish out of lakes in nc in one night. its a shame that catfishing is reported to be the second most popular fish, that we dont have some rules on them. as far as i know a man could put a 1000 jugs in a lake in one night if he wanted to. i will be the first to admit that i have jug fish before i learned to catch them on rod and reel. i never have kept a fish off a jug for myself. there will never be a fish over 10lbs kept in my boat unless it is gut hooked or dieing. i think the catching of the world record last year has added more preasure to catfishing. 10-15 years ago nobody was serious about catfishing on the lakes that i know of. if you where to look at the members on this board i bet less than 25 percent where catfishing seriously 10-15 years ago. i dont have a problem with a man wanting to put some fish in the freezer but i sure have seen some hungry people. it takes years for these fish to grow. im with you.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont worry much about creel limits anyway, I only catch and release, but I've been a supporter of limits on catfish for a long time now. I think a size limit would make more sense than a catch limit. I've seen way too many people who will keep a fish of any size, and I've "accidently" released lots of fish, not more than 6 inches long, that people were trying to take home to eat.

Zakk Royce
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I am against jugs, trotlines, and basically any type of fishing thats not rod and reel. I would love for NC to make more rules for catfish, at least for certain bodies of water.:)

Conrad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Slot limits...

Personally, I think that the best way to do it would be to set up regulations on a slot limit system. Because with the exception for flatheads, which never really get oily or very muddy as they get big, the best sized cats to eat are between 2 and 5lbs. Anything smaller then that and you're not going to feed one person off it. So say you can posses a certain number of fish between 2-5lbs, or use average length for said sizes, and maybe(and that's a big MAYBE) a one fish limit for a set throphy sized fish, sort of like some states do with stripers, and some lakes do back home with walleyes. For example, a lake back home(which for the life of me I can't remember right now), you are allowed to have a daily possession of 3 walleyes between 15"-18". One of which may be larger than 25", but you cannot possess any between 1"-14.99" and 18.01-24.99"...I know I'm being brutally specific. But I think that those sets of regulations would work good in keeping decent breeding sized fish in the water, promoting a few old fish to be removed, and protecting the younger fish untill they are old enough to become producing adults. And setting a harvest size that actually have viable fish to eat. I too have seen people with stringers of fish less then 12" long, just a braggin' on about how the cats were hitting...untill I said,"You call those catfish?" Anyway, this is just one option, I don't know how it will work for cats untill it is tried. It seems to work decent on other waters for other species of gamefish...and by the way, I don't care what they say, catfish are a GAMEFISH!!!

Jason Curl
    Post Thanks / Like

I just heard on the radio while I was fishing friday morning that there will be 54 new rules starting july first for fishing and hunting, so hopefully they put some kind of restrictions on the catfishing, I for one, would like to see limb lines trot lines and jugging go away, oh yeah and also the shock fishing on the cape fear.

Conrad
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agreed...

You've got my vote on limb lines, jugging and shocking. It's probably part of the new controversal laws they've been discussin along with the banning of hunting dogs for deer hunting, which I'd be more than happy to see also!

joe reynolds
    Post Thanks / Like

well we wrote about this issue on the old board and a lot of people got mad about it. my self and others have tried to get catfish seen as a game fish becaus eof the money issue it could bring to the state. but they told us that the were not native and they wanted them gone. secondly shocking is stupid!!!!!!!!!! some members have said it si fine and legal but i dont agree. how can some one shocka nd take all the fish they want and call it fishing. there is no way human possible that a guy with a rod and reel can do as much damage to a populastion as one with a shocker. just my thought on issue. a lot of the guys on here know how i feel about this and i got a lot of slack about a flathead i kept becaus eit had a large gash in stomach from fighting and swallowinga whole 8 inch eel. other wise it would have gone back but it would have died minutes after being relesaed with that gash. it cut both stomach and othe organs but other on here yelled you killed it. well i did in one way but i did eat it and shared it with others. we are all human and have different views but we are suppose to be here to promote cat fish and try and protect them somewhat. we as a group in nc should try to get together and do something. lets all go to our congress men and show them we want something done about it now before it is too late.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast