Will menhaden work as catfish bait?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Solid Answer Solid Answer:  0

Default Will menhaden work as catfish bait?

Will manhaden work?

I assume that you're fishing some tidal water if you've got access to menhaden. I fish similar water here in NC and I've used menhaden on occasion but I've never caught anything on them. However, if I'd used them more than a few times my results may be different. I have heard that mullet works well from some very respectable fishermen but I've never had the first bite on them.

Jerry Trew

Since several members report good success using menhaden oil as an attractant for catfish, I'd certainly think it would make a good bait, but the only way to tell for sure is to give it a try, preferably alongside some good standard bait.

Michael Craig
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I have posted before about using Menhaden oil as an added attractant to certain stink/punch/dough baits. A little goes a long way. Don't over do it.
    IT ONLY TAKES ONE CAST--MY DAY WILL COME

Verlon Lawrence
    Blog Entries

Default I use the oil.

I have a gallon of the oil that I use to soak my old skips in to refresh them.

yes menhaden(bunker) work fine especially in the fall here in DE. the only difference is we use chunks instead of strips the biggest one i landed was an 11# last fall with a bigger estimated 15+ breaking 20lb test mono 3 years ago. i even have a trick i learned to do with the heads that makes them good baits too. hmmm sounds like and article for the library.

what is a menhaden?

menhaden (bunker) is my go to bait. it has an odor unlike other cut baits. have landed over 50 blue cats in the last 3 monthes ranging from 20-50 lbs on this stuff. really want to try it fresh. all i have access to is frozen and it still works as good if not better than the shad and aleswives. i recomend giving it a try!

I have used cut manhaden in the past and had really good luck with it catching blues, Give it a shot I don't think you'll be disapointed. Good luck.:wink: