Giant Flathead Catfish! - Page 15

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819 LastLast
    Leonard
    Post Thanks / Like

Fan the flames because this site is getting hot. I think a 200 lbs catfish would crush bones to swallow a man. Once the shoulder and rib cage are squashed he wouldn' be that big a mouthful. When are they going to start decribing fish as big as a 4 door vw. We have swallowed the bait our selves and been hooked on this story for generations. I don' doubt that 150 years ago the fish whee bigger because no one had fished them out. Now days the don't have time to grow that age.

Kevin
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by SangamonCatKiller
    I have heard 'rumors' of flatheads in this area as well. Supposedly divers went down and found some the size of small trucks, stuck under rocks or inbetween them or whatever. Anyways I would love to see a pic of one of these beasts. I think you will find the diver story is a very common story amongst fishermen.

Man, I think you and several other folk here are right. When I went to High School in Chattanooga, TN we had stories about maintenance divers at the Chickamauga Dam who'd come up white as ghosts after seeing gi-normous catfish sucking up the continuous effluent of fishburger coming out the downriver side. Seems this 'ol thing is everywhere. Though to give some of the locals credit, they'd at least TRY to fish for these Bigfeet of the deep by coming to the river with jeeps and such and tossing out 55 gal drums with whole chickens and meathooks roped to them. Never heard of anyone ever catching anything by doing this, though.

Originally Posted by JayGonefishing:
    A cat that big would be cool to see, But its hard to believe. Maybe this is one we need to send into Myth Busters. What do you think? Wonder if they would take that one on.

Rock on, dude! The MythBusters would probably LOVE to be able to effectively and practically take this one on. Testing this one out would reasonably require diving and research at several large dams -- think we all figure they might see a 150-pounder here and there, but the VW-sized beestes would probably be busted for sure.

Fun topic, though!

Kevin (Skrod)

Kyle
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jewfish

There are tales I have read about huge Jewfish (grouper that gets over 700 pounds) getting hooked by fisherman using winches on their Jeeps off bridges (awhile ago big Jewfish were very common, and they liked the inshore structure). It is said that the jewfish have pulled some vehicles in!

Jared
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breadboy
    There are tales I have read about huge Jewfish (grouper that gets over 700 pounds) getting hooked by fisherman using winches on their Jeeps off bridges (awhile ago big Jewfish were very common, and they liked the inshore structure). It is said that the jewfish have pulled some vehicles in!
    Yeah Jewfish in alot of areas are catch and release only because they were over harvested for many years. Here comes another possible urban legend. A friend of a friend, of a friend once passed a story on to me about how a person was fishing from a tube tied to the jetties. Supposed he hooked into one of those monsters. He was pulled around like a bobber until he finally gave up and let go of his rod. This sounds like a plausible story since people do fish from tubes, and there are huge jewfish that have been caught in the jetties. But again, this was told to me by a friend, whos friend told him, and so on and so on. That would be one wild adventure to be fighting a fish that could out wieght you by several hundred pounds and have no way to stop him form dragging you around.

Ben Thomas
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Show me the money

It seems like the general concensus is that there are 150# maybe 200# flats or blues. And that these vw sized cats are myths. I agree 100% unless you show me the pics.

Chris Simpson
    Post Thanks / Like

Theyre is a show on Turner South called Liars and Legends.Its kinda like myth busters.they done a show on this legend about VW catfish and proved it to be untrue that divers where seeing big fish but when you are at eyeball level with one it looks alot bigger than what it really is.They dove in a few lakes around the south i cant remember which ones though.I keep lookin for the repeat so I can record it because I didnt get to see it all.Me personally I think theyre seeing some real big fish but not 200plus lbs.Why hadnt somebody went down and speared one of these monster fish just to prove to the world that they are there, because if they where that big somebody would have done it whether it be biologists or divers or just some nut.

johnnie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

guys i to have heard the big fish stories.i dont know if cats reach 200 lbs or not but come june 15th if you go down to your favorit river stick your arm under enough hollow logs and holes under rocks you will find that all cats love the taste of human flesh and ive got the scars to prove it.lol

Darren
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.....you'll all been waiting for pictures, but how about a video?

That's right an honest to goodness diving video of the rumored VW flattie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-vUyygRrv...elated&search=

Ok, maybe a scale model VW, still pretty cool though:big_smile:

Post Thanks / Like

same ole tired urban myth i have heard applied to every body of water in the u.s come on people flatheads get big but not big enough to swallow a man. if there was someone would have trotlined it out by now. heck even one over 150 lbs wouldnt be able to swallow a man

jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default watch out

i live in iowa and we have a turbo dam here i,ve heard stories about divers going down to inspect the footings and other parts of the dam, and seeing fish on the up side of the dam big enough to scare any normal thing to death. but i don,t know if any truth to stories, but would be very cool to see a tank like that